Esteemed Contributor

Re: Inconsiderate neighbors, do you have one?

@Malcontent wrote:

I have a neighbor whose granddaughter comes here and screams at the top of her lungs (it’s one of those screams that sets of car alarms and even your fur baby can’t handle it). She just screams. Yesterday (Mother’s Day), my other neighbors all went inside to get away from it. It was a warm (for up here) day and everyone was just hangin’ out on their decks/patios and this little girl drove everyone inside. It really is that bad.

This child does this every single time she comes to visit her grandparents.

@Malcontent,  how old is the child?  If the screaming goes on beyond a short period of time (15-20 minutes) call the police and tell them you hear a child screaming in distress.  Maybe the grandparents will take control once the police show up.

If the grandparents don't do anything it would be helpful if other disturbed neighbors also called, maybe on the visit following the one you reported.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Malcontent wrote:

I have a neighbor whose granddaughter comes here and screams at the top of her lungs (it’s one of those screams that sets of car alarms and even your fur baby can’t handle it). She just screams. Yesterday (Mother’s Day), my other neighbors all went inside to get away from it. It was a warm (for up here) day and everyone was just hangin’ out on their decks/patios and this little girl drove everyone inside. It really is that bad.

@Malcontent,  how old is the child?  If the screaming goes on beyond a short period of time (15-20 minutes) call the police and tell them you hear a child screaming in distress.  Maybe the grandparents will take control once the police show up.

If the grandparents don't do anything it would be helpful if other disturbed neighbors also called, maybe on the visit following the one you reported.

@Malcontent Do you think the child may be autistic or have some other disorder?

Honored Contributor

Am not sure an HOA could help with this sort of thing anyway...it would be a law enforcement issue,
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

My closest neighbor is 2 miles away.   My neighbors are cows and coyotes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Moving doesn’t always guarantee you will have good neighbors. The people who live behind us have three kids and apparently don’t send them to school. You can hear them in the pool or playing and screaming outside 7 days a week during school hours. The guy must work from home because he is always in his garage using a power tool so loud he needs earplugs....piles of lumber everywhere..have never seen a wife or girlfriend...just noise and unsupervised kids...they look to be between 5- 9 yrs old.The boy almost got hit by a car backing out last week, riding down the center of the alley on a scooter and never 👀 to see if a car was pulling out. Another neighbor reported them for truancy and the man told the officer they were homeschooled. Yeah, right.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My son lives in the Houston area now...every time my 16 yr old granddaughter tries to get in the pool in their backyard, a neighbor’s drone flies over and hovers. They don’t know for sure who it belongs to...he says he will just use his BB gun on it and that’s that!

This is a problem most of us have never dealt with when thinking of inconsiderate neighbors!

Esteemed Contributor

@Malcontent wrote:

I used to have neighbors who had a little girl who screamed all the time.  High-pitched blood-curdling screams.  Her parents were very nice, very soft-spoken and polite, but I never once heard either one of them tell her to stop screaming or admonish her in any way.  Neighbors who lived further away talked about how much she screamed and how annoying it was.  So I totally get what you're saying!

I don't hold myself up as a perfect mother, but there's no way I would have allowed my children to scream like that.  I grew up on Long Island and we were at the beach a lot - For us, screaming was only to be done if someone was in danger, so I have little tolerance for kids who scream for no real reason.  Not to mention that it's extremely inconsiderate to other people.  It's a shame that your neighbor allows it.

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Am not sure an HOA could help with this sort of thing anyway...it would be a law enforcement issue,

My sister works for a property management company (HOAs hire their company to help enforce their rules) and said they often receive calls about problems with neighbors.    

As she likes to say - try to paint your house purple or orange, and the HOA goes after you like white on rice but neighbors not getting along, shooting on their land etc.  those are law enforcement issues and HOAs have no authority over that.  

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

My son lives in the Houston area now...every time my 16 yr old granddaughter tries to get in the pool in their backyard, a neighbor’s drone flies over and hovers. They don’t know for sure who it belongs to...he says he will just use his BB gun on it and that’s that!

This is a problem most of us have never dealt with when thinking of inconsiderate neighbors!

I would want to know who that drone belongs too,

Respected Contributor

There have been points in my life that, as I turn around and look back at the journey, I could see the hand of God at work.  Call it Providence if you prefer.  "By any other name..."

In answer to this question, I can honestly say that I have wonderful neighbors on all sides.  Relatively speaking, we're the 'new' neighbors.  All the others are still the original owners of their homes.  Since my DH died, they have come to my aid in ways I never expected.  They have helped with mowing, pruning, snow removal and even my own medical care.

We landed in a Good Place, and I am thankful.    

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.