Esteemed Contributor

Inconsiderate neighbors, do you have one?

We have 2 really nice neighbors a 1/2 mile or so down the road.  However, the guy right next door is a piece of work. Now that nice weather is here this has been the last week and will happen all summer.

At 8:30 Friday night the LR window was open and the cat was sprawled on the windowsill snoozing until the first gunshot when the neighbor started his target practice. The poor cat went from 0 to 60 off the sill and went tearing to the other side of the house. He shot for 45 min. As long as he stays toward the woods and before 11:00 pm, he usual favorite time,  I suppose we should be grateful.

His 30 yr. old son took his 4 wheeler up and down the road past our house at midnight 3 times this week. Full throttle, just back and forth for no apparant reason.

The father has no cattle but has large wrapped bails of hay piled in the field across the road from us.  Last night at 12:30 I heard a large truck with the motor running for a long time.  Then came the tractor. DD came downstairs at 12:45 with some colorful language. They were across the road loading bails unto a flatbed, at that time of night,

This kind of stuff will go on while the weather is nice. The guy doesn't "work".  He is  around all day,as is son.  For crying out loud do it during the day. Telling him won't help, he's a jerk as far as I'm concerned,  he's nuts and armed.

Any rude neighbors where you live?

Honored Contributor

Re: Inconsiderate neighbors, do you have one?

None that we are aware of.  Where I live, gun target practice must take place at a licensed shooting range.  I like shooting within a controlled environment with other responsible gun owners.

Trusted Contributor

People just hate HOA's but this is when having one is a good thing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter. No nothing like that here. Shooting guns around willy nilly is not allowed. There is an underground range in town. 

We have noise hours also. Of course there is no farm equipment in my town that I know of. Edited to add, no HOA in this neighborhood. The town  has its own rules as far as noise, junk in yards,etc. 

Honored Contributor

Is it not illegal to shoot a gun like that in a neighborhood?  I would report him.  I would also report him for being so loud so late at night.  I had a neighbor years ago who must have worked nights.  At 4:30 a.m. they had a party on their deck and woke me up.  I reported them, and soon after it was quiet.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

(thread title)

Yes.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry you are dealing with neighbors like that.

Wow do you live in the country?

We have a noise ordinance inside city limits it's 9 or 10 pm.

You can't say anything to people like that because it will only make it worse.

We are up until midnight but after that I would not want to listen to it. I like the peace & quiet so I would never want to listen to it.

I have never heard a real gunshot in my life.

We do have neighbors like that but they do different stuff like use their backyards as a trashcan, spray their backyards with something to kill everything on the ground so they don't have to mow. Have sucker branches growing on their trees from the ground up? One neighbor does not take care of his 3 dogs but nobody will do anything about it. His backyard has dog poo all over which the dogs cannot get away from. He does not scoop it up. In the summer when it gets hot it stinks like poo. As soon as it quits raining & warms up so the code person can smell what I'm talking about I will be calling animal control out here.

Neighbor on our other side does the same plus has guns & posts a sign on the front of his house nothing around is worth your life stay off my property or some krap. He's really paranoid & acts like someone is out to get him. The other neighbor has a hoarding & ocd problem.

Honored Contributor

Tonight is Cinco de Mayo, and my area generally has both fireworks and gunshots in the air.  Because it's raining all day, we will not have fireworks so they will make up for it with lots of gunshots.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

Yes, we have some very inconsiderate neighbors also.  One young guy a few houses down begins each day at 6:00 by driving by with a very loud muffler and returning 5 minutes later.  I'm pretty sure he goes to Tim Hortons at the end of our street.  This goes on all day long every single hour until about 10:00 p.m.  Apparently he has no job.  How do people get by with no job??  He's young and very irresponsible with a nasty temper and mouth.

Another neighbor puts her 2 dogs out first thing in the morning and they bark continually until she brings them in around midnight.  I told her last year, very nicely, that the dogs scare our handicapped son when he is trying to fall asleep at night.  Didn't help and she seems to have an attitude now.  You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.  I would move in a heartbeat to an area that would provide more privacy but DH will not even consider it.  Reva

Honored Contributor

I am fortunate I guess.  At this time all my neighbors are mostly retired... quiet... and very nice. Of course with any sale of a home that peace can change... but for now, it is a great street and neighborhood to live on and in.