Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@CrazyDaisy    You said:

WOW.....put all old people in homes unless they have the funds to meticulously maintain the home they have spent their lifetime living.  Sound kind of snooty looking down on people who do not meet your standards.

So the option to this is to let older people who can not care for themselves or their homes anymore to continue to live in squalor and neglect because it is kind.  I suppose you are against taking away their drivers license as well when they are not fit to drive. 

That sounds like a wonderful fix.

Think there is a huge difference for the "mess" in your post that I was relying to and the squalor and neglect you now mention.  But this cut and paste of yours sure makes a colorful put down.

@CrazyDaisy Geez louise. So you're supposedly pro seniors living in filth and you want them to go out and crash their cars? That's a bit of a stretch to assume. I didn't get that from your post at all. 

My heavens, please show me where I said that.  A poster who actually is accusing me of that, stated that old people should move out of their homes if they do not have the money to keep them up to her standards. Sorry if I will give a pass to those who may not be able to weed the flowerbeds every week or paint the house an appropiate color in a timely manner.  Apparently others choose to turn them out.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

I don’t think she was looking for advice, she just said she needed to vent and is under no obligation to answer questions.

Speaking of bad neighbors, when we when lived in a duplex, our neighbors operated an illegal wood chipping business and ran that thing night and day.  I called the authorities. 

@GenXmuse  Thank you.  No, I wasn't looking for advice. What my neighbors did, they are perfectly within their rights to do so. It just so happens that it is an enormous metal building that is so tall it's all you can see when you walk out my back door.  The lots in our neighborhood are only 1/4 acre lots and our friend collects, cars, tractors, trailers, 4 wheelers, motorcycles, anything and everything he can find that has to do with farm equipment.  We have never said a thing. We just recently had a very expensive privacy fence installed so he could collect all he wanted without us having to see it when we were sitting around our pool, or, that any potential buyer would not be turned off. Our back yard and inground pool are quite nice.   Today, right up against and in the  middle of the fence, this giant storage  building appeared.  Like I said, these are 1/4 acre lots. 

I love these neighbors and they are good people.  What is done cannot be undone, but I would have never done it to them. I would have placed the building more to the back and the center of the property . 

Like I said in my initial post, I just needed to vent simply because we try so hard to keep our place attractive.   

If possible, I would put in some trees.

And you know, I get it. All the area around your home feels like it is yours. When I look out my window, that's MY view. And I'm used to it. When someone does something they have every right to do, but that changes MY view, it is really irritating. And we have every right to be irritated that something we consider OURS is suddenly changed without our consent or buy in. I sympathize with your vent.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@CrazyDaisy    You said:

WOW.....put all old people in homes unless they have the funds to meticulously maintain the home they have spent their lifetime living.  Sound kind of snooty looking down on people who do not meet your standards.

So the option to this is to let older people who can not care for themselves or their homes anymore to continue to live in squalor and neglect because it is kind.  I suppose you are against taking away their drivers license as well when they are not fit to drive. 

Think there is a huge difference for the "mess" in your post that I was relying to and the squalor and neglect you now mention.  But this cut and paste of yours sure makes a colorful put down.

@CrazyDaisy Geez louise. So you're supposedly pro seniors living in filth and you want them to go out and crash their cars? That's a bit of a stretch to assume. I didn't get that from your post at all. 

My heavens, please show me where I said that.  A poster who actually is accusing me of that, stated that old people should move out of their homes if they do not have the money to keep them up to her standards. Sorry if I will give a pass to those who may not be able to weed the flowerbeds every week or paint the house an appropiate color in a timely manner.  Apparently others choose to turn them out.

No no. My point was that you didn't say that.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

So many keep speculating that the homeowners obtained code compliance approval for the installation of their tower of metal.  Not necessarily.

In my hood, there's a 15ft easement around the entire fence line. Even for planting trees.  With smaller yards, like most in this subdivision, adding any out building would almost have to be in the middle of the yard.  So, no one reports they're building their she-shed, or metal junk container, installing on the down-low.

More homes, than not, have large metal sheds, or buildings that they've installed so close to their back fences (remember there's easement) that a skunk couldn't walk between the shed and fence.  If the fence requires replacement, it becomes more difficult. 

Typically, these structures begin to fall apart on top of the excessive junk stored. After awhile, they become homes for rats and other creatures. I think the homeowners become afraid to look inside and let them deteriorate.  I've witnessed this on three sides of my home.  

Code compliance just shrugs, feeling that once they're built, they just need to know that if their shed obstructs necessary utility maintenance, they'll have to take it down.  

The OP has every right to feel upset about her situation. I've seen the effects of such in my, once lovely, aging neighborhood. It's slow and insidious, but once it starts ... 

Respected Contributor

@Georgiagrama I don't blame you for being unhappy with the huge metal building right up against your fence.  In the township where I live, there would be zoning ordinances against sheds over a certain size....you should check with them.  I would also do what the other poster said...,say something to the HOA, but ask for anonymity because you don't want problems with the neighbors.

I'm guessing your privacy fence was tall enough to block your view of all their vehicles and equipment in the past....but now you can't miss that huge metal shed!

Hope it gets resolved.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

I know this has been discussed before, but I have a neighbor who we thought so much of do something really inconsiderate today. 

They did something without any thought to property values of the neighbors around them or like me, next to them. 

Things like this always make me sad so I just needed to vent.  I guess living in a neighborhood with a strict HOA isn't such a bad idea. 

I don't know what yours did, but some of ours had a fight last Thursday, complete with 3 gunshots being fired and a woman screaming oh my God, oh my God, oh my God. The police arrested two people, one was a juvenile. The adult was out the next day. The adult was charged with drug possession, theft of property and burglary. I don't get why he ws out the

Then yesterday, I noticed that other neighbors have a trash dump behind their house and the their trash is blowing into MY ditch and our cow pasture. I will be calling someone about that later today.

I just feel like some of us were raised better than others, and also some of us have a little bit of pride in how our property looks. I'm not talking about decorating or even flower beds. But this sheer trashiness and I am about tired of it.

Super Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@CrazyDaisy    You said:

You are assuming some of these older folks don't have the money to maintain their properties - not true!  When I was nursing at the hospital, we had a patient in her 80's, lived alone in her huge house in Brooklyn, and was a multimillionaire!  She refused to keep up with the house.....hoarding situation, rats, rodents, etc.  Clearly it was determined she had a mental health issue, but she was discharged to her home with social work and Adult Protective Services involvement to get the place cleaned up (her son wanted nothing to do with it). 

Honored Contributor

@IslanderGirl62 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@CrazyDaisy    You said:

You are assuming some of these older folks don't have the money to maintain their properties - not true!  When I was nursing at the hospital, we had a patient in her 80's, lived alone in her huge house in Brooklyn, and was a multimillionaire!  She refused to keep up with the house.....hoarding situation, rats, rodents, etc.  Clearly it was determined she had a mental health issue, but she was discharged to her home with social work and Adult Protective Services involvement to get the place cleaned up (her son wanted nothing to do with it). 

@IslanderGirl62 

Knowing one old woman who has lots of bucks but doesn't take care of her property certainly doesn't prove that many older people don't have the money.

Quite the stretch to make.

Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

Just because it isn't illegal doesn't make it right. I would find a tall metal structure like that pretty annoying, but I wouldn't say anything either. I'd just privately vent.

We have pretty great neighbors for the most part, thankfully. The only issue I really have is with one family who parks a ton of commercial vehicles in the road 24/7, which blocks the view of traffic, making it a dangerous situation because we have tons of kid in our neighborhood who play outside.

@JJsMom, you might check with your city about their regulations regarding your issue.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: Inconsiderate Neighbors

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

Just because it isn't illegal doesn't make it right. I would find a tall metal structure like that pretty annoying, but I wouldn't say anything either. I'd just privately vent.

We have pretty great neighbors for the most part, thankfully. The only issue I really have is with one family who parks a ton of commercial vehicles in the road 24/7, which blocks the view of traffic, making it a dangerous situation because we have tons of kid in our neighborhood who play outside.

@JJsMom, you might check with your city about their regulations regarding your issue.

I also have a next door neighbor who recently changed jobs and now has a very large "company vehicle" as does his buddy, and they both park in front of his house, one with a trailer attached.  The buddy parks so close to my driveway that it's been a big maneuver to get out every morning, not to mention blocking my view of traffic.  I mentioned it to my neighbor and now he's leaving more room and actually parks his large vehicle in his driveway (I don't know why he didn't park in his driveway before).

It's so much better to resolve things with the neighbors themselves, but it's not always possible and yeah, then you have to see what is legal and what isn't and go from there.