Esteemed Contributor

@ann1989 wrote:

The $200 to $300 per month average cost for an HOA can instead go into a retirement fund, an emergency fund or where ever your interest might be.  If someone earns less than $100k per year as is our situation, there's no way in holy heck that I will ever give my money to an HOA.  Annoying neighbors come and go and if insufferable, you call the police, code enforcement and any other office at your disposal that could possibly help. 

I've lived in the city, the suburbs, and the way-out-there suburbs.  I've never lived in an HOA situation, and I've also never had neighbor problems that were not easily solved.

From what I've read here over the years, HOA's seem to vary quite a bit in how strict/lax they are.  And they are not always effective.   Based on my own experience, I'm just not sold on them at all.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I love living in an HOA community.  Each spring, a group of “ neighbors” walk through the entire neighborhood which is huge and make notes about homes with things needing fixing to meet HOA standards.  I KNOW that both my neighbors on each side of me fixed up their homes because the HOA sent them letters.  They both had really let their homes and yards go to HE**.  I never said anything to them as they are such nice people, but it did bother me to keep my home nice....and their homes were in such a neglected  fashion.  Because of the HOA, They both painted....made repairs and even have a gardener come to tend to their yards each month. How nice! I think sometimes people just do not SEE the mess or the things needing repair until it is shown to them.  

The one neighbor still hides junk behind his house...furniture, old refrigeratir...two old junk cars......trash.... but I do not see it  as I put up a 6 foot fence and it is not street visible. He should get rid of it, but, probably just does not even think about all the ****** back there.  He is old....I figure when he dies it will hopefully get cleaned up.....

My property was picked as a star property.... I was sent a letter from the HOA  the last  two years.  It is sent to those that keep up their properties.  It made me feel good. 

Not necessary, but it is nice that they do it🙂 I think it makes people want to CARE. 

Why is this allowed in an HOA community?  I wouldn't be at all happy about that.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Pook wrote:

Why post just to vent if you don't expect others to weigh in?  Just start journaling your vents and don't involve others.

ere unless you - just use a journal to get it out

She has my permission to *journal* here. : )

She has my permission too.  :-)

Esteemed Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

Now that we know what it is it sounds like something that would stop bothering you after a while, you'd just get used to it. But if it is that troubling I'd just put a pretty tall trellis over there and get some ivy or morning glory and voila. I mean if you were actualy just looking to buy this place and you loved it would it stop you from purchasing? It probably wont stop anyone else either.

It would probably stop me from purchasing.  Something big like that in small area?  I wouldn't want to be looking at it every day.  I'm sure it would stop other buyers too.

Respected Contributor

@Georgiagrama Your situation is like mine, only I unexpectedly lost my husband and I'm having to deal with all these issues alone. It was bad enough emptying our bucket list, but now this.  You feel so vulnerable as a senior widow. Battles have to be chosen with care.    

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

@Georgiagrama Your situation is like mine, only I unexpectedly lost my husband and I'm having to deal with all these issues alone. It was bad enough emptying our bucket list, but now this.  You feel so vulnerable as a senior widow. Battles have to be chosen with care.    

@BlueFinch, my condolences.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

@BlueFinch  I am so sorry you are having to deal with this alone. My husband had a stroke 3 weeks ago and is basically alert, but incapacitated.  I guess that's why I felt the need to vent.  You do have to choose your battles carefully when you know you will be dealing with it alone.  My sincere condolences for your loss. 

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 Thank you.

Respected Contributor

@Georgiagrama Thank you for your kind comments.  I'm equally sad to hear you are dealing with such a stressful situation.  It's clear why you'd want to find solitude in your own backyard for moments of escape. Your venting is understandable, too. It can be an effective distraction and it certainly generated a lot of activity.  It's going to be a slow road, but I hope your husband's recovery exceeds all expectations.  Stay strong and best to you both. BTW, it might be time for a landscape mural to be painted on your side of that building Smiley Wink.

Respected Contributor

@NYC Susan  Thank you.  I truly did not mean to upset anyone.