Esteemed Contributor

Re: Including more Information from the OP as a thread goes on. . .

@lolakimonowrote:

Here is an example @Annabellethecat66.

Poster starts a thread titled "should I get back with my ex?"  He is the father of my two children, and I never stopped loving him.Cat Indifferent

Then in dribbles...

• Poster is married to someone else.
  • Ex is married to someone else.
  • Ex is in jail.
  • Ex is now in a same sex relationship.
  • Two children are 45 years old.

And so on...

Great example!

This kind of thing happens all the time.  I think it's best not to become overly invested.  We already know we're only getting one side of the story, and the odds are good that our take on a situation would be different if we knew all the facts.

I do think it would be nice if OP's came back and updated on the outcome.  Or at least came back to thank all of the posters who put a lot of time and energy into posting thoughtful responses, useful advice, and information.  It amazes me that some OP's have no trouble writing out long, convoluted stories when they want advice, but somehow are incapable of coming back and writing something as simple as, "Thank you all for your replies."  No one has to reveal more than they want to, but acknowledging the many posters who did their best to help would be nice.  And IMO it's the right thing to do.

Honored Contributor

It can be funny.  I think sometimes posters don't get the responses they thought they were going to get so they throw some more stuff in hoping that they will get the comments they want to....and if that doesn't work....they come back and throw some more stuff in.  After a while, they end result is that they completely reverse the orgininal post.  It would be easier if they just TOLD people what to say...lol

Respected Contributor

I think sometimes the OP thinks she (he) is giving all the information necessary, but as people give their opinions and ask questions and make assumptions, she provides more information for clarification.  

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotterwrote:

I generally feel that the poster who starts a thread like you described is looking for attention.  Positive or negative, it is attention all the same.

I have grown weary of some of the posts where the "story" and "history" changes and someone forgets what they said a month ago. All they care about is that it's another scenario for attention and I expect another installment in a week or two later.

Honored Contributor

@Soonerwrote:

I notice occasionally when someone asks for opinions here they don't include all the information about the topic up front, but keep dribbling it out as the thread goes along.

Sometimes, the OP will add facts that totally change the picture, although people have posted replies on what now is basically incorrect assumptions.

My thought is that this isn't really fair to to the people you are asking to give opinions.  Sometimes OP's even come back and criticize posters for making responses that in the light of the new information they just decided to toss out might seem mean or crass.

To me, those are sort of cheap shots. . . I hate to see well-intentioned people waste time and effort to help someone out then be blindsided for it. 

@Sooner. I agree with everything you said. To me, when the info starts changing, it makes me skeptical.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner @hckynut  It's also annoying when posters jump in responding with "Haven't read previous posting, but here are my thoughts . . . "  How can their comment have any credibility if they haven't been following all of the posts? Makes NO sense. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono  Realized about 7-10 days ago my examples were way too detailed (of personal things) and decided to cease sharing them. Hope I'm able to keep from hitting the SEND key! (I've been so close a couple of times with a particular OP, but hit the DELETE key instead. Whew!) Trying to improve my  frustration on this Forum. Smiley Wink

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLadywrote:

It's also annoying when posters jump in responding with "Haven't read previous posting, but here are my thoughts . . . "  How can their comment have any credibility if they haven't been following all of the posts? Makes NO sense. 

The only time I read what others have posted is when I am responding to a previous post I wrote in that same thread. I never read any posts except the one written by the person that started the thread. 

Why? Because I prefer writing what have to say without possible influence from what others may have posted. I don't really care if it is redundant, I say what I feel about the topic of the thread. No reading what 10-20 others had to say until after I put up my 1st post in that thread, then I read some of, or all of the other posts.

Done it that way for over 15 years here now. Am I right? I don't know, but I know it isn't wrong from my perspective. Call it habit or whatever, it's just my way of doing it.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut, the only thing that fits both sides here, to me, is "to err, is human".  Nothing else really explains it. 

Respected Contributor

I stay away from threads like the OP is describing.  I think they're just playing people half the time.