Honored Contributor

Re: Incident at Frys Food Store

@Calcgirl, if you have a Trader Joe's, they really do it right.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

A few quotes from the article in the Sunday UK Daily Mail. Would post link but not sure if it is allowed. 

A mask won't protect your eyes: "A team led by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine have now found the eyes produce ACE-2, making them a target for the virus. ... Not only could the virus enter the body through the eyes, but tears may serve as a spread of infection, scientists said."

Esteemed Contributor

I shop at Bashas, Walmart and Frys and Frys has the best selection. They've had paper procucts, Clorox wipes etc.. Bashas seems to have a tough time restocking so they're out of everything. As far as masks go, I've seen half and half in the grocery store. I tend to go early in the day when it's less crowded. 

Honored Contributor

We've known this whole time you can get the cmvirus through your eyes. That was part of the reason for the "don't touch your face" admonition. Rubbing your eyes-- big no no.
Trusted Contributor

@Calcgirl I'm lucky.  My ShopRite requires everyone to wear a mask, won't let you in unless you have one. They have someone at the door to hand out wipes and aisles are marked by arrows.  All the employees are masked and the cashiers have a protective screen between them and the public.

Super Contributor

Agreed, the eye thing was a given but some fearful people may also want to opt for goggles or the plastic hood as well as a mask. Just pointing out the futility of the exercise.

Contributor

It is NOT futile to wear a mask.  If everyone wears them they really do cut down on the chance of contracting the disease.  I am a Registered Respiratory Therapist and if you had to run ventilators to keep people alive you would have a different attitude about the simple, effective, and thoughtful act of wearing a mask!

Respected Contributor

@chlema wrote:

@Calcgirl I'm lucky.  My ShopRite requires everyone to wear a mask, won't let you in unless you have one. They have someone at the door to hand out wipes and aisles are marked by arrows.  All the employees are masked and the cashiers have a protective screen between them and the public.

That's the way it is at Publix, Target and Fresh Market where I live. All employees wearing masks, all carts wiped down by a store employee stationed at the front  of the store and plexiglass shields separating the cashier and customer. And the aisles are marked for one way traffic. I have never had anyone invade my personal space and I try very hard not to invade other's space.  I don't know what more the stores can do to keep everyone safe short of closing their doors. And no one wants that I hope.  Oh and I should add probably 90% of customers are wearing masks. 

Honored Contributor

If an employee does a bad job they should be fired and if a business does a bad job they should go under. Good employees and businesses should take their places. That's American competition. The entire economy is based on it.

If a corporation doesn't protect you or their employees, they deserve to go under because they don't care about the people they employ or the people they serve. That's just facts.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I guess it doesn't do any good to point out AGAIN that masks help to keep the mask WEARER from spreading the virus.  That's why we wear them.

But lots of people don't seem to want to hear it.  For some strange reason.