Honored Contributor

@cody2 wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

I probably have 100 cookbooks dating back to late 1800'. Out of these many cookbooks, I use probably 4 or 5 at most repeatedly.  However, I too have toned down the cooking, baking and eat cleaner and plainer.  I don't bake like I used too, as I eat it all lol. For good recipes I use over and over I return to The frugal Gourmet, Foster's Market, gee etch paltrow's fist book and Ina garden. The recipes are creative, adaptable and just packed with flavor.  Works for me

I have every cookbook that The Frugal Gourmet ever wrote. I was saddened by the demise of his career but that doesn't change the fact that, like yourself, I go back time and time again to his books for recipes. His Cuban Black bean Soup is a staple in our family. The kids and grand kids have all grown and moved on but they still request "my" Cuban Black bean Soup when they are around. I have given all of them the recipe but they all say that theirs just doesn't come out like "mine". Smiley Happy

Hi @cody2,

Hope you are doing well. Smiley Happy 

I enjoyed The Frugal Gourmet, as well.  I will look up this  recipe. It sounds wonderful!

Baseball season is coming to an end. My Yankees are..............well let's just say they will be golfing in the post season.  *sigh*

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Respected Contributor

I have had so many good cookbooks and given them all away because I really only cook for myself most of the time.  When I have company I usually make something of Ina's which I look up on the Food Network.  She makes my kind of food.

But I may get this book anyway.  It's a few cents less on Amazon and if you have Prime, there is no shipping.  So will get there. 

Hi @dmod nj

Honored Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

I have had so many good cookbooks and given them all away because I really only cook for myself most of the time.  When I have company I usually make something of Ina's which I look up on the Food Network.  She makes my kind of food.

But I may get this book anyway.  It's a few cents less on Amazon and if you have Prime, there is no shipping.  So will get there. 

Hi @dmod nj

Waving hi to Clem! Smiley Happy  Hope you are well.

I love Ina's recipes too. I've made many, many through the years. Smiley Happy

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

@CowGirlInTheSandI don't remember the Make a Wish snafu, but I do remember the pictures of Ina and a young woman she took under her wing in East Hampton.  As a little girl, the child had been imprisoned in a home and abused by a disgusting much, much older man.  Her story was all over the local news when she was finally discovered.  The happiest story I ever read about her was the one telling of her working and learning with Ina.

Esteemed Contributor

I have most of Inas cookbooks. I do know that most of her recipes can be found on the internet but I do like getting hers, I have bookshelves in my kitchen for all of my cookbooks and Inas are just pretty to look at. Something about that women lowers my heart rate and just calms me. Whether it is her cookbooks or on tv. I have a ton of her shows DVRd and I watch them at night to relax. Just love me some Ina.

I don't get my cookbooks from the Q though. Usually get better prices elsewhere.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

@dmod nj wrote:

@cody2 wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

I probably have 100 cookbooks dating back to late 1800'. Out of these many cookbooks, I use probably 4 or 5 at most repeatedly.  However, I too have toned down the cooking, baking and eat cleaner and plainer.  I don't bake like I used too, as I eat it all lol. For good recipes I use over and over I return to The frugal Gourmet, Foster's Market, gee etch paltrow's fist book and Ina garden. The recipes are creative, adaptable and just packed with flavor.  Works for me

I have every cookbook that The Frugal Gourmet ever wrote. I was saddened by the demise of his career but that doesn't change the fact that, like yourself, I go back time and time again to his books for recipes. His Cuban Black bean Soup is a staple in our family. The kids and grand kids have all grown and moved on but they still request "my" Cuban Black bean Soup when they are around. I have given all of them the recipe but they all say that theirs just doesn't come out like "mine". Smiley Happy

Hi @cody2,

Hope you are doing well. Smiley Happy 

I enjoyed The Frugal Gourmet, as well.  I will look up this  recipe. It sounds wonderful!

Baseball season is coming to an end. My Yankees are..............well let's just say they will be golfing in the post season.  *sigh*

@dmod nj Great to see you too Donna! My Giants have been miserable since the All Star break so I know how you feel. I think aliens came in and kidnapped the real team and left this bunch of bungling fools. I just can't BELIEVE how bad we are. There is a slim chance we could get in Wild Card. Very slim. I hope we don't because it will just be one and done. It is time to end our misery, LOL. But come Spring...well...you know. Hope springs eternal doesn't it.
Esteemed Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

@CowGirlInTheSand wrote:

i admit the cookbook is tempting too especially the part in the back of the book with the favorite brands, however, I just can not forget her past failure with the Make-A-Wish Child's request she declined twice.  She did later try to make up for it, but it seemed that only occurred after it went very public.  Later it was stated that she was supposedly unaware of the request and that her team was responsible for turning the child down, however it is hard to imagine anyone declining a request like that.  I’m glad the child was able to move on and the mother’s blog indicated only goodwill to Ina, but it still made me sad and unwilling to buy anymore of Ina’s items.

The fact is you do not know the whole story.  She says she did not know and that her staff did not pass the request along.  Do you have any proof to the contrary or are you simply condemning someone based on gossip, rumor, and innuendo?

Unless you have actual proof, you are unfairly condemning someone without knowing all the facts.

I agree. I don't think people realize the volume of emails and regular mail some celebrities get. I have absolutely no doubt that someone in her position doesn't read ANY of her emails or mail unless it is filtered to her. She simply would not have the time. At my husbands job, he has an assistant that goes through his emails and filters the need to have on to him and he isn't a celeb at all. When there is only 24 hours in the day, you have to delegate because there isn't time to do it all. We also don't know what happened to the people who are the ones that are responsible for her emails and what happened to them. They most likely at the very least were talked to about that. There is just nobody in her type of position that doesn't have someone who handles their correspondence.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@cody2 wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

HI @cody2! Cuban Black Bean soup is one of my favorites and I am going to google this recipe. Right now my favorite place for CBB soup is Bahama Breeze restaurant. It is the best I have had anywhere but I want to try his now, so thanks for the heads up. Is the Frugal Gourmet the one who was accused of doing things with children?

JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@cody2, could you look at this recipe and tell me if this is the correct one. Thank you in advance!

http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/9701/cuban-black-bean-soup.html

JFK
Respected Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@cody2 wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

HI @cody2! Cuban Black Bean soup is one of my favorites and I am going to google this recipe. Right now my favorite place for CBB soup is Bahama Breeze restaurant. It is the best I have had anywhere but I want to try his now, so thanks for the heads up. Is the Frugal Gourmet the one who was accused of doing things with children?

@irsgrl31201, hello girl. He has two different ones in two different books. The great one has bell peppers and you soak them overnight with the beans before cooking the next day. At the end you add wine vinegar and olive oil. It is soooooooo good. If you can't find it, I will see if I can find which book it is in. Hope you are well. Smiley Happy