Esteemed Contributor

Re: In what decade were you the most happy and content?

I'm 76 yrs young -- never married, no children - but I'm in good health. Recently, I was trying to figure out which was my BEST YEAR - and still can't come up with one. I've had lots of good things happen - but too many bad things as well. 

Respected Contributor

I'll take right now.  I've been fortunate, after many difficulties!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For me I think it was in the early and mid 80's (my career was booming, and I had the greatest co-workers some have become long time friends, we worked hard, but still had fun), I loved the British New Wave music, my NFL Redskins were not the dysfunctional team they are now and won 3 Super Bowls,  some of the most fun vacations took place then, good family times, inspirational faith, and wonderful friends...........

Sadly this decade is not so fun---so many relatives and even a few friends suddenly and unexpectedly passed away (and several were fairly young) a lot of empty places during the holidays, and now several friends dealing with health issues and age wise they are not that old..........And some things I'm seeing in this world today make me very sad............HOWEVER, as the saying goes, every day is a gift that's why they call it "the present"........and I am thankful for the wonderful famiy and friends that are a part of my life, and even though work is not as  fun nor is there the comraderie, it's still a good job, good pay, and good benefits which I am grateful for...........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I had an amazing childhood on the 50's and early 60's. I was blessed with really great parents and family in general. I loved high school. I had a steady boyfriend all the way thru school , I was a majorette, because my boyfriend was a football star I got to hang out with everyone and anyone I wanted. High school was great. Then in the 70's I was married to the love of my life and his job provided us the opportunity to travel all over the world and see many exotic places.I couldn't possibly have been any happier. Since my first husbands death in 1979 I would say I have been more content and accepting of my life choices than ecstatically happy. But that is ok too. I'm certainly not unhappy.

@Hello @151949 Woman Happy~

I had earlier hearted you, simply for the reason that you had presented one main piece of the puzzle: you were blessed having 'great parents'. There is where (usually) the foundation lies. 

I, too had a solid background with no baggage and learned good values from my parents.

Also,the childhood years and the HAPPY DAYS being a majorette and many friends, but was not allowed to car date until 17-18, which prepared me for new adventures that I had not experienced,i.e, growing up too quickly.

I loved school and knew what I did NOT want. I had known of several girls marrying right out of high school and knew that was definitely nor for me, or neither that mature to be in something I knew little about.

My parents instilled in me ` securing a good and healthy vocation, one I would love so much, I would do free`.

AND! I did.

To me, the FAMILY, as we grow to our elementary years, to our teen years is the most important priority: A SOLID BASE.  That was _why_ I could relate to you,  having a FUN time as you were growing to an adult.

The sad information was hearing that you had a loss of that love, through death.

I know what that means: "A" love of life experience.

I am so glad in hearing that you did find another fine spouse and are here, today, to tell of that marriage.

I enjoyed you post. Indeed, yes, you have been blessed.

Yes, I can relate to being happy for each decade, even though I may not be the same age as many, here, I can go back with out baggage and 'IF' anything I could change, would be:  my parents still here with me, now.

Thank you for an interesting post.

NAES

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Probably this decade... in my 60's... retired,  no more periods every month... have had all my joints replaced and I have no pain anymore.... feel pretty darn good!  Smiley Happy

@SeaMaiden

I second that about "no more periods every month"......that is one of the good things about getting older..........Woman LOL

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@NAES1  - Thank you for ypur delightful post.

I have been criticized on this board for "bragging" about my childhood and my family. Geez - it's the only childhood I had - I can't address a different kind of childhood - I write about my experiences & my family. 

Honored Contributor

They've all been great years, I've been fortunate in life.  Sure, we've had our ups and downs and challenges but life has always been good and it keeps getting better.  

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@NAES1  - Thank you for ypur delightful post.

I have been criticized on this board for "bragging" about my childhood and my family. Geez - it's the only childhood I had - I can't address a different kind of childhood - I write about my experiences & my family. 

@151949

REALLY!!?

You are a delight, dear. Heart.....

Criticized? On the bonker's board?

Whom would I, personally, appoint to have that clout?

"haaa, That IS one for some psych therapist to figure out. AND! I have one,  my brother".

I know this:

Many women are ready to attack IF::

either content, do not complain, intelligent, and please~     '''''''''never forget if you are pretty. I battled that prejudice for many years.

DUNT ya' know if you are attractive, then you definitely cannot be    ``S M A R T?

You are a very intelligent women.

AND! I know the cross section of almost everyone ----HERE!

NAES

ps:  Write away,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you are bigger than those whom are not trusted. Believe I know 'em all.

Respected Contributor

I think every decade has been good for me, because in each one I've had the chance to grow, learn, and try different things.

However, if I have to pick out a favorite, I would say the 1990s.

I was out of grad school (the first time), began my first "real" jobs, moved to a new city, Portland, Oregon, and had a lot of fun meeting new friends, traveling, and working.

I was young, carefree, with a bit of money! lol  Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor

I would say 80's and early 90's.....with family and raising my children.....best times of my life......they are still the joy in

my life and we have been blessed with grandchildren....

family is what it is all about...........