Honored Contributor

Re: In what decade were you the most happy and content?

@LilacTree great question and very thought-provoking.  I would say the 2000's for me.  I had my son.  We moved from Chicago to California with a newborn.  New life and new experiences, and I was very happy and on top of my game.  Then in 9 years, 6 of my close family members including my my mom and bro (a marine ) died.  How did I get through that?  But for the grace of God.....

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Trusted Contributor

My decade was the 70's.  I was a little girl and didnt have a care in the world.  I had a wonderul family and extended family, had fun in school and just loved every minute of my life.  Then the hard part of life starts when you start losing the ones you love.  Each decade after I lost someone who meant so much to me and I miss them to this day.  Each decade has been good, but my childhood was wonderful and I was very Blessed.

Trusted Contributor

I feel I have had a very fortunate life.  I am grateful.

With the exception of watching the news, I am very content right now, this decade, this time in our lives.

There have been some sad events, as in everyone's life, but I feel very, very fortunate.

Yes, we are getting older, but even that makes us fortunate.  We had dear friends who are no longer with us...

We love our daughters-in-law and have three grandchildren.

Valued Contributor

Alot of us seemed to like the 80's, myself included.  My husband finished his doctorate, got a great job, we moved and had our two boys this decade. We were in a great church, I started teaching piano, which became my career, and our parents were still alive (except my dad who died in '75).  

The next decade was not bad either.  My DH changed jobs, we moved all the way across the country and started a different kind of life. Boys were teenagers and graduated.

2008 and 2010 we lost both our parents, and 2016 I lost my husband to Alzheimers.  So...........each decade as we get older usually brings more sorrow as we lose many of our loved ones. Also brings joy too.  We had our only granddaughter in 2005. That was a huge blessing.

Esteemed Contributor

@NAES1 wrote:

@Hello @Zhills,  

I thought the question was quite simply put:

`as

'In what decade were 'you' the most happy and content`?

I, also, have stated that-  I had a wonderful childhood.    "Meaning I was not abused, or not wanted. Those types of horrific things.

@The OP had asked that question, and @151949 had responded with what I should come to believe, happiness that she alone can remember, with kindness.

"I did not analyze her as been bragging, nor myself, in any way. That answer was what we 'both' thought were fun years".

Heart~Heart~

A simple question- A simple answer. 

I am though, interested, why you would want anyone to be *more grateful* towards (as stated from you) those who did not live _her_ happy time.

Very confused, ` why that answer, of yours, though`?

``That was the one time that she remembered being that happy``. 

I am saddened for anyone to have grown up in a dysfunctional home life being sad, parents dying ( my dearest beloved mother died very young, was very ill for many year, previous to her death), or being abused, and you know quite well what I am saying, here.

Of course I hope to know that you may ~ be~ one of the sweetest woman or man that may have contributed back, and built on being a mentor to those that you, alone, are able to help, from yours, or anyone else's childhood experience(s).

I do not view anyone, here as bragging, just gleefully happy and have very fond memories that will never be as once before. 

Sad, would be the the more powerful of any one description- to anyone, as a condolences in losing that childhood: what should be plain and innocent ....growing up.

I, too have been told I had been blessed and thought, no not me, what did I do to deserve this, and found from a fine christian lady...absolutely nothing... just a set of blessing of circumstances. 

We each can and hopefully should remember the meaning in a new fresh beginning: that is what I know that is what Easter means to me, a new fresh start, not to be attacking, never jealously , never looking away, not helping to support each other. 

You sound so hurt at one time but that is all over, now, hopefully if I read you as I do. 

At this Easter time for me, I ask that I can take my daily life, my work, my whole being into some one who is more powerful than me, into His hands.

Living in sick and dangerous world, as we do, we have the a responsibility. kindness. 

"I look forward to the stories that our poster friend always brings us back from her church sermons of positive, I really enjoy another's view from across the miles".

I love to share in goodness and hope -as I am sure you do, also. 

I have thought that (maybe) after the death of 151949's husband being taken away so suddenly, so young, she had been loss and gained a greater faith in restoring that hope, again. 

Going back to our childhood is just that- going back- and remembering.

AND! That was hers...maybe, __ no other moment in time, more of great moment(s) in the sun, to speak of, but just then. I do believe we each have that one time in our lives that surpasses any others.

We are here to support each other, and I do believe you can be a leader with much goodness for positive happenings in your life to share.  

Isn't friendship much better than anything else; liking each other?

If not, I am willing to listen and share some of my unhappy events. There is no perfect life, nor childhood all through our rearing; disappointments come when least expected.

Have a wonderful new day and many promises that can and often comes our way, with shared closeness. 

NAES

4-15-2017

@                            Heart  @151949

Image result for No need for explanation

Honored Contributor

3Re: In what decade were you the most happy and content?

[ Edited ]

(decade-ish):

Spring of 1963 through the first half of 1975; my dad was still alive and OK then.

And our little family of 3 humans (plus some critters) was a lovely blessing.

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

We were fine and happy until 2001.  Everything fell apart for us a couple weeks after 9/11.  Our sorrow for that tragic date was compounded by personal tragedy.  We have never really returned to who we were.

@golding76

On the day of September 11 I remember saying, "Everything has changed.  Life will be different from now on."  And that has come to pass.  Shortly after that day, everything did change -- abruptly -- and the changes kept coming.

My life is clearly divided by that date.  Life pre-September 11, and life post-September 11.  It's been a long crawl back and we're not there yet. 

Yes, everything changed.  And so quickly.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

I'd say the 1990s. I was in my late 40s-early 50s. My kids had graduated from college and were doing well in their careers. My career was going very well, as was my husband's. Toward the end of the decade I became a grandmother. I traveled to France every year. Life was good.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Decade "s" 1960s thru "mid" 1970s. I had a wonderful childhood and teen years, fun with family and friends, trips to the beach. Because I was young, with not a care or problem in my life and my parents were both alive. (My mom died young in 1979 of heart disease and it changed me forever). Have I been happy since? Of course! But my youth was my content/non worrisome times

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

Goldie76...I feel your words, I feel you.  I wish I could express myself the way you did.  One thing I can do is to hope you still find a lot of happiness now and in the future.

@golding76 wrote:

I adore this question, Lilac Tree.  Many times I have reflected on the happiest period(s) of my life, and, without hesitation, I claim the '80s, too.  However, the '90s were a close second.

In the '80s I not only achieved a high point in my career but also became pregnant for the first time.  Then two more pregnancies followed.  Dreams and desires were fulfilled  My late husband established his own company by the end of the decade, and our sons were doing well academically and socially.   For most of the decade I was a stay-at-home mother who relished every moment of such an existence!   I never once took it for granted -- honestly.  There were part-time gigs, in different periods, but nothing that would intrude with family time, which I treasured.

The '90s were filled with joy and fulfillment, too.  We were fine and happy until 2001.  Everything fell apart for us a couple weeks after 9/11.  Our sorrow for that tragic date was compounded by personal tragedy.  We have never really returned to who we were.

I HATE THIS NEW CENTURY!  I know, I know try to be positive and all that, but I know my best years are behind me.  I'm mature and can adjust to the losses one experiences when aging, but I find it hard to digest that my happiest moments are in the rear-view mirror.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam