Honored Contributor

Re: In watching a news story..

On 7/11/2014 Clover29 said:

I went to Dubai on business and was given a show-round of a brand new hotel that had one of those outside glass elevators. Had I been alone, I'd rather have used the stairs - even 100 stories - than go in that thing, but I had no choice because someone was giving me a tour and it would have been rude to refuse. I tried to stay away from the edge and not look down.

It's not heights that I have a problem with, it's edges. If heights bothered me, i wouldn't be comfortable looking out of plane windows. What I can't do is drive in the lane nearest the side of a bridge, I have to go in the middle lane and try not to think about it.

Me too!

There is a bridge on the Queen E I have to cross to get to Toronto. It's VERY high, it was created to handle large ships near Hamilton. I have to drive in the middle of the road, I cannot drive near the edge. I hate to think what might happen if I was stuck in that lane!

Honored Contributor

On 7/11/2014 qualitygal said:

It was about the poor people stuck on that ride at an amusement park. Hope all will be ok.

Then I got to thinking, I'm so glad I've never been stuck in an elevator on a high floor, I don't care for bridges, or elevators or for the matter heights.

Did you ever go stand at that building that has see through plexiglass to step out on look down? I could never do that.

Does anyone else have feelings of being uncomfortable in like situations? What would yours be?

I did that in Chicago on Mother's Day. That didn't bother me as much as how many people crowded into the elevator to and from the 94th floor. Ugh. Would hate to be stuck in a full elevator.

Honored Contributor

On 7/11/2014 kivah said:

It started in 1995 -- when I'm a passenger in a car, on the street or freeway, I go into panic mode. I could drive fairly well on the street -- but when I have to drive on the freeway, which isn't often, I start freaking out. Too many cars, they're driving too fast - I just feel like I'm going to crash. I'm 73 yrs. This all started at age 54 - during menopause. I read that this is common for women.

After years of air travel, all of a sudden when that door gets slammed shut I have a very nauseous feeling come over me. I try to not focus on it because I don't want to be 'grounded'.

Super Contributor

Heights are scary.