Respected Contributor

Re: In these hard times, I am thankful......

@Ifeelwicked  We did pumpkins a couple years ago and they were good size. We gave them to local kids to carve for Halloween. They spread out like crazy! I know Mike puts cow manure on our garden. We have pretty good soil. We did not do them last fall because we used that space for more tomatoes and potatoes. 😊

Super Contributor

My mom grew up on a farm so canning was in her blood. I was around 10 or 11 in the hot Virginia summer and she had me peeling peaches she was going to can. Peach juice was going all over my hands and arms and peach fuzz was sticking to my arms and my hands were getting stained in the process. Oh yeah she had a bushel of peaches to peel. She looked at my handy work and told me I was peeling too much of the peach away. That was my way out! I did not mind snapping beans, but those peaches almost ruined my summer.
Honored Contributor

My family did too @wvumountiefan . Applesauce, peaches, pears and all kinds of garden vegetables. I didn't even know you could buy tomato juice for chili and casseroles because there was never a can of it in our house. As a teen, I canned tomatoes and made freezer corn from a garden I tended. Now I grow flowers, and may not even do much of that this year.

Valued Contributor

@wvumountiefan wrote:

@Ifeelwicked  We did pumpkins a couple years ago and they were good size. We gave them to local kids to carve for Halloween. They spread out like crazy! I know Mike puts cow manure on our garden. We have pretty good soil. We did not do them last fall because we used that space for more tomatoes and potatoes. 😊

Thank you!! We can get that. (Our soil has been suspect as a contributor for years now since it is mainly clay.) 👍🏻 🎃

Honored Contributor

We even had currants and elderberries along with a garden that had everything. Canning and freezing were done every year. We even made our own horseradish and pickles. We had chickens for our own eggs. We made our bread, cinnamon rolls, and donuts. Driving into town for other groceries was a big deal. Never ate out, only home cooked meals. I only wish I would have appreciated it more at the time.