Honored Contributor

Re: In the realm of you just can't make it up anymore...

The bus drivers are required to do practice runs including all stops.  

Contact your state representative.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

To me the pointless bus driving would contribute to higher property taxes. 

That's because you have no idea of how demanding school safety is.

Law suits would rampant if school bus companies did not have safety protocols in order. These are protocols set up by everyone with a vested interest in students.  Schools are closed but some students may be allowed in.  You have no idea what districts do to accommodate people.

Honored Contributor

Speaking about school buses, do any of them, now-a-days,  have passenger seat belts?

Years ago, I always wondered why not.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY  I don't know the answer these days but I do know when my sister was in broadcasting ten years ago, they said there would never be seatbelts on school buses.

The reason was it makes the company liable for making sure the kids wear them which is yet something else for the driver to monitor and they just didn't think it would be feasible or cost effective to hire a separate monitor or enforce.

I mean what do you really do when the snot nose 14 year old says no?  They'd be calling the cops/parents every bus stop and neither one can really do anything or wants to do anything in disciplining the kids these days.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ROMARY wrote:

Speaking about school buses, do any of them, now-a-days,  have passenger seat belts?

Years ago, I always wondered why not.  

Here is everything you would ever want to know on this subject, @ROMARY (safe link)

Sorry, @Laura14, but no, that is not one of the reasons most school buses don't have seat belts.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 It was 10 years ago in our area.  Thank you for providing updated info.

Honored Contributor

If people don't want bus drivers to practice their runs for the new group of students each year, would they rather their children be assigned cable company style windows of time to be out at the bus stop? Be out there and waiting every morning from 5 am to 9 am, kids.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

At this point, the Kool-aid man could come busting through my wall and I'd be, "what up?" and shrug my shoulders. 

Just don't drink it, @GenXmuse, Don't join the affected/infected. :-)

WOW.  OK then.  See what I mean ! ! ! !

Honored Contributor

Oh Lord.  Complete insanity.  Change the $%&*# policy and pay them.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Deree wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@fitfuninformed wrote

@Laura14   Even NOT being a former school district administrator, the test runs have been being performed since what seems like the beginning of time!  Have you never seen this before????   

I have never seen this before. They do not do it where I live. I can't believe that this seems normal to do this morning and afternoon several days in a row with no children on the bus. 

@happycat  Obviously school bus routes are different as night and day in different parts of the country. 

It may not be "normal" where you live but it is quite normal in the city in which I live.  And it is important for drivers to do.  Routes can be extremely difficult with narrow streets, unexpected one-way streets, accidents, construction, impatient car drivers, etc. It's critical that bus drivers where I live be efficient and on time as much as possible.  There's little room for error or it can negatively impact children getting to school on time. I know drivers who do a dry run at least 5 times before school opens.

It''s pretty routine everywhere I've ever lived.  The trial runs serve a very useful purpose, for both drivers and students.  Getting students to and from school efficiently and safely is serious business.  Many day camps that provide bus transportation do the same thing.