Respected Contributor

Re: In the realm of you just can't make it up anymore...

@Kachina624 

Some reasons were given already. With new drivers, often a supervisory or experience driver will ride.  I did that as a principal with new drivers. Often, the routes need to be tweaked. 

it is not done to annoy anyone.  It is for the safety of the students.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Boomernichols  Georgia

For those of you who got the humor, have a great weekend!  Smiley Very Happy

For those of you who want to focus on something else, please stay positive.  It's good to make fun every once in a while of your day to day to keep your spirits up, especially right now.  

What may come across as critique may actually be observational sarcasm.  You all have a good weekend too! Smiley Happy

@Laura14 

Well, I enjoyed your satirical humor.. Have a good weekend!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

She says she lives in GA. I live in GA. There are some school districts that have reopened. Some have reopened for special needs students.  Others are planning to reopnen after labor day. And others are using buses to deliver lunches. I have no problem with my taxes going for this. Better to feed children and to make sure that the bus drivers are properly trained than to use my tax dollars for lots of other reasons. Guess I am one who doesn't get the humor in the original post. 

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 Check to see if school buses are running to deliver meals to students....they're doing that in my State

Honored Contributor

If I see crossing guards standing in the road waiting for invisible children to cross, I won’t be surprised. Thanks for the heads up. It is 2020. Nothing can shock or surprise me at this point.
Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Our local school buses are running their respective routes morning and afternoon complete with stopping for children who are not there.  The schools are closed due to the pandemic and everything is online learning right now.  

Yes, we who are driving on the road with the buses that have no one on them are stopped at each house or sidewalk waiting for children to board or disembark that are not there.  

Do you love it?  Smiley Very Happy  Gas money out the window as well as our time in trying to get to work.  And if you are a greenhouse/climate change person, my apologies for your seizure.

There is a somewhat good reason for it.  The bus drivers apparently have to do it to get paid which I am totally fine with but doing the stops complete with blinking lights and sitting for ten seconds is a bit ridiculous.  We know no one's there.  Just drive the route straight through and forget about inconveniencing yourself and the rest of us.

There is your laugh for the weekend and your tax dollars at work.  You're welcome!  Smiley LOL  

I think this is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@fitfuninformed wrote

@Laura14   Even NOT being a former school district administrator, the test runs have been being performed since what seems like the beginning of time!  Have you never seen this before????   

I have never seen this before. They do not do it where I live. I can't believe that this seems normal to do this morning and afternoon several days in a row with no children on the bus. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@happycat wrote:

@fitfuninformed wrote

@Laura14   Even NOT being a former school district administrator, the test runs have been being performed since what seems like the beginning of time!  Have you never seen this before????   

I have never seen this before. They do not do it where I live. I can't believe that this seems normal to do this morning and afternoon several days in a row with no children on the bus. 

@happycat  Obviously school bus routes are different as night and day in different parts of the country. 

It may not be "normal" where you live but it is quite normal in the city in which I live.  And it is important for drivers to do.  Routes can be extremely difficult with narrow streets, unexpected one-way streets, accidents, construction, impatient car drivers, etc. It's critical that bus drivers where I live be efficient and on time as much as possible.  There's little room for error or it can negatively impact children getting to school on time. I know drivers who do a dry run at least 5 times before school opens.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

At this point, the Kool-aid man could come busting through my wall and I'd be, "what up?" and shrug my shoulders. 

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

At this point, the Kool-aid man could come busting through my wall and I'd be, "what up?" and shrug my shoulders. 

Just don't drink it, @GenXmuse, Don't join the affected/infected. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland