Respected Contributor

Re: In the midst of pandemic I met some wonderful neighbors

@GCR18 wrote:

It's the opposite here.  I see nobody outside.  Granted it's still cool, but I usually see some sign of life.  It's like a ghost town in the neighborhood.

Same here.

Honored Contributor

It seemed like whenever it snowed, we would see so many of our neighbors. We were all out shoveling. It used to be fun. And we would always make sure the "older" neighbors had a cleared walkway and driveway.

This year we had no snow that needed to be shoveled. But I must say we are seeing everyone out walking. And the dogs all seem to be getting at least 2 walks a day. My husband takes the dog out and he doesn't return for half an hour. It is because he is talking to everyone else out walking.

And it is so nice to see families out walking, kids in strollers, kids on their bikes and Mom and Dad holding a leash or two. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Parents walking with their teenagers is the new activity in our neighborhood! We stop and visit as always, but keep a good "social distance". Haven't had a patio get-together with any of my neighbors yet this spring, which I really miss. We're simply too cautious to share food, drinks and "settle comfortably in" for a few hours of fun, which is painfully aware of how frightening life is right now. 

My son is still working with the public (at his dealership), so seeing their family is absolutely a no-go with my autoimmune problems. How I miss them! Haven't had a human hug in over three weeks. That's not natural for anyone. Still think the teenagers are suffering the most. Cannot imagine being couped up at home without school, friends, activities, parties, and "hanging around" to communicate with others in person at that age. My grandson is SO bored! So is my DIL, who usually is teaching or volunteering. Even the volunteering has been canceled. 

I'm so grateful my mom didn't live long enough to see this pandemic. Or to be stuck in an Assisted Living or Skilled Care without family able to visit. As a dementia patient, she wouldn't have understood the lonliness of lack of visitors or the panic of nursing staff or other residents. She would also have been so worried about the stock market and her finances for self-pay for her care. Such a frightening time for so many. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.