Esteemed Contributor

Re: In the Future, When There is A Dangerous Cat 5 Storm...

@sidsmom wrote:

@Plaid Pants2

I totally understand what you are saying.

I thought the same thing.

No matter what any newscaster/weather station said,

no matter how many people were evacuated or news reports

interviewing local officials, I saw the hurricane colors on the forecast 

and that thing was h.u.g.e.....

and I really thought Miami would be blown off the map and/or

the topography to a large part southern part of Florida would be

permanently changed....gone.

But....it's not over yet.

Yes, there have been & will be deaths

Yes, there is major property & Oceanside damage.

Yes, people will be recovering from this for a long while.

If there wasn't a mandatory evacuation, would there be more 

deaths?  We'll never know, but the land/property damage would 

be the same with/without people. 

But, no it's not a wipe-a-major-US-city-off-the-map bad as 

I thought it would be.  

Thank goodness.

@sidsmom

Thank-you for understanding what I am sayiing.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@catchersmom wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 I think I understand what you are saying. I know I've learned a lot from Irma, and the worst of the weather hasn't hit my area yet. Hopefully others will use this experience to learn from it and not become complacent because they might have made out better during the storm than expected.

My takeaways (so far):

1. There will always be those that ignore the storm warnings. My mother falls into that category. Denial is her coping mechanism and it makes storm prep and potential evacuation extremely stressful. I suspect there are many people out there like that.

2. Everyone that doesn't evacuate however isn't because they are in denial or being arrogant or ignoring warnings--I have family in Florida (near Tampa) and they were specifically advised to shelter in place as they were not in the evacuation zone and were in sturdy shelters. The reasoning? To free up evacuation routes so those ordered to do so could get out as quickly as possible.

3. Even with all the advancements in technology and weather prediction it is almost impossible to get it all right all the time. The landfall of Irma was one of the trickiest forecasts I can remember for these tropical systems. I believe they do the best they can.

4. The intensity of a storm is even more difficult to forecast. I've seen two major hurricanes that blew up at the last minute before landfall and people did not have enough time to evacuate.  Then there's Irma that we saw lose some steam before landfall after interacting with Cuba. The mainland U.S. is fortunate some of that intense energy was spreadout a bit. Again I think the meterologists do the best they can.....Mother Nature just runs the show and is going to do her thing.

5. If you are going to evacuate voluntarily, do it as early as possible. They have a lot of kinks to work out with massive evacuations; running out of gas and being stuck on the side of the road is a scary and unsettling possibility.

I'm curious to see if they got the forecast for my area right; praying they didn't get it right but won't know for sure until tomorrow. I hope everyone is safe out there and that none of you suffered too much damage. Stay strong and be smart.

@catchersmom

Thank-you for understanding what I am saying.

Valued Contributor

They are doing high water rescues now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2I, get what you are saying.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I've had the news on all day, and from what I've seen so far, and yes, it's still early, it seems that Irma didn't live up to it's apocalyptic hype.

I did not want that to happen.

But next time there really is a dangerous cat 5 hurricane, how many people will listen and heed the call to evacuate?

People need to listen to local broadcasts in times of emergency.  They know what you need to do to stay safe.  Storms like these are constantly changing ane moving, you need to know what to expect in your area.  People need to prepare and be aware of what is happening but they need to stop these scare tactics.  People will stop listening.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For me it's better safe than sorry.  I would rather listen to authorities, take shelter, and prevent loss of life rather than take the risk of dying. 

eta..I wouldn't question the authorities when it comes to their decision-making process involving matters like this one. It's Mother Nature and you just never know what can happen. I leave it up to those who have more knowledge than me to decide whether I should stay or go.

Respected Contributor

Is the OP disappointed it wasn't worse?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Plaid Pants2

I totally understand what you are saying.

I thought the same thing.

No matter what any newscaster/weather station said,

no matter how many people were evacuated or news reports

interviewing local officials, I saw the hurricane colors on the forecast 

and that thing was h.u.g.e.....

and I really thought Miami would be blown off the map and/or

the topography to a large part southern part of Florida would be

permanently changed....gone.

But....it's not over yet.

Yes, there have been & will be deaths

Yes, there is major property & Oceanside damage.

Yes, people will be recovering from this for a long while.

If there wasn't a mandatory evacuation, would there be more 

deaths?  We'll never know, but the land/property damage would 

be the same with/without people. 

But, no it's not a wipe-a-major-US-city-off-the-map bad as 

I thought it would be.  

Thank goodness. 

@sidsmom 

Thank-you for understanding what I am sayiing.

@Plaid Pants2

My sports radio station just did their daily news segment

(1310 The Ticket DFW) and they said the exact.same.thing.

We are not alone w/ our idea.  

I'm afraid people who evacuated will begin to express that same idea...

but not in a favorable mindset.

We'll see. 

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

@Bri36  I don't think she is but her post and others appear to scoff at the seriousness the forecasts before Irma hit land here.

As others have said, the shifts that occur with these hurricanes cannot be emphasized enough.  Plus there are many people who have never experienced this type of weather so they certainly need to hear it over and over again just how devastating this could be and to get out.

Unless one has had to evacuate, and I never have, one cannot beging to understand what these people are going through.

Better to present worst case scenarios because worst case scenarios do happen.

And better to be happy that some areas were spared that worse case than to pick at those who stayed behind or to pick at the "less severe" results.

There will always be folks who don't heed the warnings regardless of how Irma ended up.  The next time folks will stay and not evacuate; I hope there isn't one but we have seen this before, we see it now, and we will see it again.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

@Bri36

No! Not at all!

In fact, just the opposite!

I'm GLAD that it wasn't worse!

But, this storm was so hyped as being apocalyptic, that there was going to be wide-spread catastrophic damages, whole cities were going to be wiped off the face of the earth.

When that didn't happen, (Which I am HAPPY that it didn't), the next time that there is a huge, monstrous, cat 5 storm, people will not listen to the advice/orders to evacuate, because the authorities were "wrong" about how bad Irma was going to be.