Honored Contributor

Re: In the Future, When There is A Dangerous Cat 5 Storm...

People will always make their own decisions, but I do hope that officials in charge of the responders stick to their pronouncements that those who decide to ignore evacuation orders will not have distress calls answered. 

Those who were asked to shelter in place and did that should get the immediate help they need as it's safe for the responders to step in, imo.

And for those whose homes are made unlivable, it really doesn't matter whether it's because of an apocalyptic storm or just a bad storm.  It's all the same - awful.

Super Contributor

The OP obviously hasn't been in the path of a severe storm. These broadcasts are a lifeline to us. Half of Florida is without power already. I'll repeat what I said earlier. No one is forcing you to watch the storm coverage. Turn off the dam*n TV and be glad that you have power. 

Respected Contributor

Although meteorologists usually present weather predictions as facts, it is not an exact science. Too many changing variables.  

I have been watching Florida local news and it looks bad enough.  

Trusted Contributor

One reason it hasn't lived up to the "hype" is that people heeded the warnings and evacuated or prepared properly. We know it devastated the Caribbean and we still have no idea of what the final damages will be in the USA. 

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Trusted Contributor

My nephew used to work in city government in an Atlantic coastal city.  When he and his colleagues were learning about emergency preparedness, they had to listen to 911 calls that had been made in previous hurricanes.  Sadly, these people decided to stay and now were in life and death situations.  Unfortnately, some didn't make it.  That taught not only my nephew, but all of us if you are told to evacuate, you do.  Would much rather be safe than dead. 

Trusted Contributor

Bonita Springs, Florida, this afternoon.  Heaven only knows what areas further south must look like, especially the Keys.

IrmaSEP10BonitaSprings-1024x633.jpg

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

I am a believer in the old saying, "Better Safe Than Sorry."

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I've had the news on all day, and from what I've seen so far, and yes, it's still early, it seems that Irma didn't live up to it's apocalyptic hype.

I did not want that to happen.

But next time there really is a dangerous cat 5 hurricane, how many people will listen and heed the call to evacuate?

@Plaid Pants2  There are nearly 4 million without power in Florida. Many of those won't have it for weeks or months. There has been a lot of destruction that will be shown in full color on tv for all to see over the next several days/weeks/months.

And Irma is not finished with her wrath yet. What more were you expecting?

Contributor

We should ask the people of Barbuda, Saint Martin/Sint Maarten, Puerto Rico, Cuba and the Bahamas that question. Woman Sad

So are you saying these people lives are don't matter? What a selfish and heartless statement.

Honored Contributor

@TxGranny60 wrote:

We should ask the people of Barbuda, Saint Martin/Sint Maarten, Puerto Rico, Cuba and the Bahamas that question. Woman Sad

So are you saying these people lives are don't matter? What a selfish and heartless statement.

I see reading comprehension doesn't come to you naturally so I will explain it to you as simply as I can. 

The above mentioned countries/islands were either totally destroyed or heavily damaged so the category 5 hurricane was very real to them!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson