Esteemed Contributor

In the Future, When There is A Dangerous Cat 5 Storm...

I've had the news on all day, and from what I've seen so far, and yes, it's still early, it seems that Irma didn't live up to it's apocalyptic hype.

I did not want that to happen.

But next time there really is a dangerous cat 5 hurricane, how many people will listen and heed the call to evacuate?

Honored Contributor

Re: In the Future, When There is A Dangerous Cat 5 Storm...

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I've had the news on all day, and from what I've seen so far, and yes, it's still early, it seems that Irma didn't live up to it's apocalyptic hype.

But next time there really is a dangerous cat 5 hurricane, how many people will listen and heed the call to evacuate?

We should ask the people of Barbuda, Saint Martin/Sint Maarten, Puerto Rico, The US/British Virgin Islands, Cuba and the Bahamas that question. Woman Sad

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

The smart ones will.  They said that hurricanes can change directions etc.  Better to be safe.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2...I'm guessing you didn't see how it destroyed the US & British Virgin Islands.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm talking about people on the U.S.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it was dangerous enough!

That was/is one scary storm.

Miami is a mess. Fort Lauderdale has an entire highway flooded, another crane down, not to mention all the islands that were totally demolished.

And it still has to go through Ga and the Carolina's with 40-50mph winds and rain and possible tornadoes.

It could have been worse but it was bad enough!

And they are still worried about what happens when all the ocean pushed back comes rushing back in, storm surges etc.

Millions without power. Streets totally under feet of water and powerlines down making it unsafe to go out at all after the storm.

Hopefully, the loss of life will not be as tragic as Harvey.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I understand the concern.    However, there always will be people who don't take warnings seriously, no matter what the history of reliability/unreliability of meteorologist forecasts.   There always will be people who don't bother to pay attention to actual damage done and how horrific each storm actually was.   There always will be people who don't believe we landed on the moon.   The only thing we can do is try to stay informed, share what we know or believe, hope everyone will be smart in their preparations and precautions, send our positive prayers and thoughts out, and try to be of help when and if people and other living creatures are harmed by raging storms.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

It doesn't matter if it is a hurricane, tornado, heavy rain with predicted floods or major snow storms there will always be people who insist on riding out the storm their way.   Thank goodness for modern technology that gives us information in advance so we can prepare for the worst and pray for the best.    With all of the constant advanced messages to get to a safe place and the methods made available to the handicapped and those without transportation hopefully there were not many deaths. 

Trusted Contributor

I think they do the best that they can do.  And, it was a Category 5 in some locations.  

I have a cousin, in Florida, who lost her home to severe flooding....and the storm surges aren't finished yet.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

I've seen some brutal images for the Florida Keys and I don't think we have a clear picture of what is going on in Naples or Marco Island.  And Irma is still on the move.  It will be a few days before teams are able to assess the full extent of the damage.  I know some areas that were believed to be in the path have been spared a bit but I am afraid many areas will be devastated.