Frequent Contributor

Re: In reference to Cecil the lion (your opinion)

The posts of "Bacardi" and "greenhouse" are spot on.   Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Several minutes ago, someone wrote this:

"Obviously the dentist did not read your rules. And that really is what we're talking about here."

Actually, this thread started out with the OP asking whether her young relative was right to allege that meat-eaters were hypocritical if they objected to hunting down and killing a lion. 

Just sayin'.

And the OP went on to say that this wasn't about hunting for meat; hence, my comment.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Frequent Contributor

Thank you "MarLoCat" for the pictures and the sentiment.

Respected Contributor

SuzyQ.....all I see from the OP are post  #1 and post  #22. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@chiclet wrote:

I just think you could find a better hobby than killing something.  I have always questioned how a person could get pleasure from watching something being shot and suffering.  I have never been around anyone who hunts so I just don't get it.

Someone who gets pleasure out of this is SICK. I would NEVER have anything to do with people who hunt. IMO, they are BULLIES and COWARDS.

You obviously know nothing about hunting or hunters.  You better thank your lucky stars for them, otherwise we'd be inundated with deer and other animals in uncontrolled numbers.  Many would die a slow agonizing death due to starvation because there wouldn't be enough to eat.

Hunters don't hunt for the sake of killing something, they hunt for meat.  Most animals that are shot die instantly and their meat sustains many families.  If a hunter only wounds an animal, the rules say he must find it and put it out of misery.  There are also rules against "wanton waste" of an animal, leaving it to rot.

You ought to watch the TV program North Woods Law about hunting and fishing in Maine and you'd see how tightly regulated and patrolled it is.

Have you read about Palmer?  He wasn't hunting for food, for meat.  He hunted for bragging rights.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

"If a hunter only wounds an animal, the rules say he must find it and put it out of misery."

Yeah, tell that to Cecil, who was shot in the head a "mere" 40 hours after being wounded by an arrow and - as one news station reported - "maimed" by his injury.  Yeah, that sure is humane all right.

I'll bet Palmer had a lot of fun and excitement chasing wounded Cecil around. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@chiclet wrote:

I just think you could find a better hobby than killing something.  I have always questioned how a person could get pleasure from watching something being shot and suffering.  I have never been around anyone who hunts so I just don't get it.

Someone who gets pleasure out of this is SICK. I would NEVER have anything to do with people who hunt. IMO, they are BULLIES and COWARDS.

You obviously know nothing about hunting or hunters.  You better thank your lucky stars for them, otherwise we'd be inundated with deer and other animals in uncontrolled numbers.  Many would die a slow agonizing death due to starvation because there wouldn't be enough to eat.

Hunters don't hunt for the sake of killing something, they hunt for meat.  Most animals that are shot die instantly and their meat sustains many families.  If a hunter only wounds an animal, the rules say he must find it and put it out of misery.  There are also rules against "wanton waste" of an animal, leaving it to rot.

You ought to watch the TV program North Woods Law about hunting and fishing in Maine and you'd see how tightly regulated and patrolled it is.

Have you read about Palmer?  He wasn't hunting for food, for meat.  He hunted for bragging rights.

If you read back you will see that Kachina is responding to Italia saying that ALL hunters, not just big game hunters like Palmer, are bullies and cowards. 

Italia never did answer my question asking how she thinks the Inuit people should feed themselves, then....

Honored Contributor

I read all the way back, thanks.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

I read all the way back, thanks.

Ouch. Well then that is very worrisome, Noel.....

Respected Contributor

ITA.  So, because I make and eat homemade chicken soup, I'm a hypocrite for being saddened by the death of Cecil?

I don't think so.  Here is another example of a zero sum game.  In my opinion, the raising of livestock for human consumption is a lot different than the brutal stalking, torture and killing of an animal purely for sport. 

Additionally, I do agree about the treatment of animals on factory farms.  However, if people educate themselves, they will find that there are smaller, family run farms that raise their animals in their natural environment, and process them as humanely as possible with little to no trauma.  I only purchase from these farmers, and I'm fortunate to have several in my area.

I understand if that is still unacceptable to some people, and they don't eat meat on principle.  I myself don't eat a lot of meat, but I do on occasion.  I do not think that precludes me from being upset about Cecil.  Those who want to maintain the holier than thou act, carry on.  Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero