Respected Contributor

Re: In reference to Cecil the lion (your opinion)

I just think you could find a better hobby than killing something.  I have always questioned how a person could get pleasure from watching something being shot and suffering.  I have never been around anyone who hunts so I just don't get it.

Honored Contributor

I have no idea what SMH means.

I see no one who is indifferent to the problem.  Perhaps take time to read all the thread.  You will see much caring.

And you have no idea who contributes to similar causes or who has been involved in similar causes.  

I never said we should go to war.  I related how people behave during war.   Completely different.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

I knew a very sweet man who hunted squirrels....and ate them.  Maybe he was frugal

Esteemed Contributor

I have gone to Africa and have seen these magnificent animals.  The proceeds from hunts do not go to the villages, not a penny.  The people of Africa have respect for  and love their animals.  I stayed on three reserves and the Rangers knew every pride and every marking on their lions, even at night.  Experienced guides may not be as astute as a ranger but they knew who Cecil was and it was wrong to kill any lion, not just Cecil but he had a name, a pride, a story  and Cubs.  These guides knew Cecile's story; his rare mane made him stand out and maybe he was meant to be killed because of those features because he was especially regal and beautiful.  When animals wandered into our dining area, the waiting staff would point them out by name and tell us the name of a certain elephant and when he/she may stop by....it was almost as though the animals were guests.   These animals walked up to our tables and  tho you couldn't pet them, they stood there curious and watched us eat at a very close range....a spectacular experience.  They only mistake the animals make is to trust us humans.  I am sure when they decided to kill this beautiful lion, they never thought there would be such a public outcry for justice because for them, it was business as usual....just another lion and a lot of money changed hands.  Maybe Cecile's death will have meaning but I would rather have seen him live out his life with his pride. 

Trusted Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I just think you could find a better hobby than killing something.  I have always questioned how a person could get pleasure from watching something being shot and suffering.  I have never been around anyone who hunts so I just don't get it.

Someone who gets pleasure out of this is SICK. I would NEVER have anything to do with people who hunt. IMO, they are BULLIES and COWARDS.

Respected Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

I have gone to Africa and have seen these magnificent animals.  The proceeds from hunts do not go to the villages, not a penny.  The people of Africa have respect for  and love their animals.  I stayed on three reserves and the Rangers knew every pride and every marking on their lions, even at night.  Experienced guides may not be as astute as a ranger but they knew who Cecil was and it was wrong to kill any lion, not just Cecil but he had a name, a pride, a story  and Cubs.  These guides knew Cecile's story; his rare mane made him stand out and maybe he was meant to be killed because of those features because he was especially regal and beautiful.  When animals wandered into our dining area, the waiting staff would point them out by name and tell us the name of a certain elephant and when he/she may stop by....it was almost as though the animals were guests.   These animals walked up to our tables and  tho you couldn't pet them, they stood there curious and watched us eat at a very close range....a spectacular experience.  They only mistake the animals make is to trust us humans.  I am sure when they decided to kill this beautiful lion, they never thought there would be such a public outcry for justice because for them, it was business as usual....just another lion and a lot of money changed hands.  Maybe Cecile's death will have meaning but I would rather have seen him live out his life with his pride. 

Exactly. And the fact that Palmer could not find an elephant "big enough to kill" speaks volumes. He was seeking rarity. An "ordinary" lion wouldn't have been sufficient to satisfy his bloodthirsty ego. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

The guide said they hunted him because he was old and not reproductive!!

Respected Contributor

@Justice4all wrote:

The guide said they hunted him because he was old and not reproductive!!

Dumb as a rock. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

@Say Nay.   You are exactly correct!  I think Cecile was killed because he was was beloved, beautiful and rare being a black lion.  

Respected Contributor

The license/trophy fees are humongous.  And go to the corrupt governments!?