Honored Contributor

Re: In reference to Cecil the lion (your opinion)

@Smaug wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Smaug wrote:

@Justice4all wrote:

The guide said they hunted him because he was old and not reproductive!!

Dumb as a rock. 

@Smug, I'm nominating you for a special award for having the most irritating avatar on the boards.  Congratulations!

@Kachina624Cool. 

Love your sense of humor Smaug.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@emma bunting wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@chiclet wrote:

I just think you could find a better hobby than killing something.  I have always questioned how a person could get pleasure from watching something being shot and suffering.  I have never been around anyone who hunts so I just don't get it.

Someone who gets pleasure out of this is SICK. I would NEVER have anything to do with people who hunt. IMO, they are BULLIES and COWARDS.

You obviously know nothing about hunting or hunters.  You better thank your lucky stars for them, otherwise we'd be inundated with deer and other animals in uncontrolled numbers.  Many would die a slow agonizing death due to starvation because there wouldn't be enough to eat.

Hunters don't hunt for the sake of killing something, they hunt for meat.  Most animals that are shot die instantly and their meat sustains many families.  If a hunter only wounds an animal, the rules say he must find it and put it out of misery.  There are also rules against "wanton waste" of an animal, leaving it to rot.

You ought to watch the TV program North Woods Law about hunting and fishing in Maine and you'd see how tightly regulated and patrolled it is.

Have you read about Palmer?  He wasn't hunting for food, for meat.  He hunted for bragging rights.

If you read back you will see that Kachina is responding to Italia saying that ALL hunters, not just big game hunters like Palmer, are bullies and cowards. 

Italia never did answer my question asking how she thinks the Inuit people should feed themselves, then....

For Pete's sake, I'm talking about hunting in the U.S., not some third world Country.  The statement was all hunters are bullies and cowards.  That's just not true...nowhere near it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@emma bunting wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@chiclet wrote:

I just think you could find a better hobby than killing something.  I have always questioned how a person could get pleasure from watching something being shot and suffering.  I have never been around anyone who hunts so I just don't get it.

Someone who gets pleasure out of this is SICK. I would NEVER have anything to do with people who hunt. IMO, they are BULLIES and COWARDS.

You obviously know nothing about hunting or hunters.  You better thank your lucky stars for them, otherwise we'd be inundated with deer and other animals in uncontrolled numbers.  Many would die a slow agonizing death due to starvation because there wouldn't be enough to eat.

Hunters don't hunt for the sake of killing something, they hunt for meat.  Most animals that are shot die instantly and their meat sustains many families.  If a hunter only wounds an animal, the rules say he must find it and put it out of misery.  There are also rules against "wanton waste" of an animal, leaving it to rot.

You ought to watch the TV program North Woods Law about hunting and fishing in Maine and you'd see how tightly regulated and patrolled it is.

Have you read about Palmer?  He wasn't hunting for food, for meat.  He hunted for bragging rights.

If you read back you will see that Kachina is responding to Italia saying that ALL hunters, not just big game hunters like Palmer, are bullies and cowards. 

Italia never did answer my question asking how she thinks the Inuit people should feed themselves, then....

For Pete's sake, I'm talking about hunting in the U.S., not some third world Country.  The statement was all hunters are bullies and cowards.  That's just not true...nowhere near it.

I agree with you Kachina. As a matter of fact the hunters that I know that rely only on what they hunt and nothing bought at the store or a butcher are a lot more respectful of the life they take and are very much less wasteful than the average American in regards to food. They hunt only what they know they will use. To compare the average hunter to this barbarian is in no way a fair comparison. I think most people here agree with that.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

none of what anyone's said on this thread is new. I don't know why the Op started another one albeit under the guise of her niece's question, however the subject of outrage over Cecil versus being hypocritical if you eat meat, has been discussed over and over.

With that said, I would like to clarify a couple points that I haven't seen. Zimbabwe is a poor country, the President lives like a king and takes most of the revenue coming in for himself and his family/farms. The economy has tanked over the years. Big game hunting revenue is not helping its people. I read where their annual income is something like less than $400 a year. While Mugabe paid millions to have a birthday party for himself. (Mods don't delete post, not making it political, just giving facts)

Anyway,as for the questions about all the outrage over Cecil but why not all the other poached animals. Before the internet and social media, magazines like National Geographic covered these stories. I remember reading many yerars ago about the 5 mountain gorillas poached and killed for body parts. Their picture was on the cover. People were OUTRAGED but without the ability to FB and tweet, not much coverage otherwise. There have been and always will be organizations dedicated to preserving all these species in their natural habitate, thus the outrage continues over places like Sea World exposing their practices in films like Blackfish.

What would people like us to do? We are outraged, signing petitions, trying to put a stop to this cruelty. But not eating the meat of a chicken or cow is not going to stop trophy hunting. People do not need to feel ashamed that they still eat meat and it seems most people say I eat meat but I'm cutting way down to try and make it seem less hypocritical. Our ancestors killed and ate mammoth, eating meat is not new to humans. But they killed one animal and fed their entire tribe for a year thus sustaining the population.

Go ahead and be outraged, incensed even over Cecil and any other animal species as long as you want. I know I will. I have always enjoyed watching stories about them, seeing them in magazines, in calendars. They are beautiful and not one of them should become extinct because some human(s) decide they'd rather see their head mounted on a wall. In this regard I don't think humans have evovled at all, but rather gone backwards as now we don't kill to eat and sustain our food supply, we kill just to kill and brag about it. I am disgusted by that. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Super Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@emma bunting wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@chiclet wrote:

Kachina...I'm on your side on this. I said that ITALIA was saying that all hunters were bullies and cowards. Not you. You were responding to her saying that. Sorry ....I could have phrased that better.....

Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@chiclet wrote:

Obviously the dentist did not read your rules. And that really is what we're talking about here.

BRAVO! EXCELLENT RESPONSE!

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@emma bunting wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@chiclet wrote:

THEY ARE IN ADDITION TO OTHER WORDS I WON'T USE HERE.

Esteemed Contributor

@italia8140 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@emma bunting wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@chiclet wrote:

THEY ARE IN ADDITION TO OTHER WORDS I WON'T USE HERE.

So you think ANY  hunter at all is a coward and bully? Even hunters here who kill what their family needs and use every part of the animal leaving none to waste? 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

For the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka  -  Isaac Bashevis Singer

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the Washington, D.C., area, deerkills are organized by local governments to cull the herds.  I had to laugh one day last year when I read that the City of Fairfax was reporting it had 11 deer captured, tranquilzed and sterilized  during the organized timeframe.  Heck, they could have boosted their record and caught more  if they had  visited my backyard last Fall----I counted a herd of 11 deer grazing and peeing/pooping on just the back half of my half-acre lot, eating whatever vegetation they could find (including any weeds they are welcome to eat) and leaving behind the risk of Lyme disease from deer ticks. 

We see a lot of deer in the fall and winter, because the federal parkland and other undeveloped land (what's left ot  it around here) don't provide enough food for the huge deer population.

Yesterday, a Mama deer and her two babies were hanging around my backyard.  Last year, I had to call  the county's animal control number (which is the police department) and a cop came out and had to chase down a severely injured deer who somehow had landed in my backyard overnight.  I couldn't chase away that deer and soon realized it had to be injured, but once the police car showed up in the driveway, the deer began to limp away, obviously with a broken hip--probably caused by a car out on the nearby four-lane road (and we hope the driver is OK).  The amount of deer roadkill out on that road is pretty extensive.

I told the officer I hoped he could shoot the poor thing and put it out of its misery, but he said he had to somehow  corral  it first because firing his gun might injure somebody.  I don't know what happened after the officer left my driveway and went to the block behind my house to pursue the deer.

Excess deer are a population and environmental problem for humans and the deer.  Hunting and killing in an organized way have become essential.

Even in the heart of the city, deer have been reportedly crashing through glass doors of office buildings and front windows of homes and causing all sorts of other damage to themselves and others.

Those with such a strict moral code about culling a self-destructive herd of animals need to see the problem up live and close in their own yards.

In our area, the organized and regulated hunts for deer result in the meat being donated to food charities and the hungry. 

Deer have only two natural enemies to keep the population at a reasonable level---car collisions and starvation.