Valued Contributor

Re: In reference to Cecil the lion (your opinion)

TWO DIFFERENT TYPES:

Hunters hunt for the meat

TROPHY hunters hunt only for the head (the trophy) and could care less about the meat

Honored Contributor

Regular Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@chiclet wrote:

I just think you could find a better hobby than killing something.  I have always questioned how a person could get pleasure from watching something being shot and suffering.  I have never been around anyone who hunts so I just don't get it.

Someone who gets pleasure out of this is SICK. I would NEVER have anything to do with people who hunt. IMO, they are BULLIES and COWARDS.

You obviously know nothing about hunting or hunters.  You better thank your lucky stars for them, otherwise we'd be inundated with deer and other animals in uncontrolled numbers.  Many would die a slow agonizing death due to starvation because there wouldn't be enough to eat.

Hunters don't hunt for the sake of killing something, they hunt for meat.  Most animals that are shot die instantly and their meat sustains many families.  If a hunter only wounds an animal, the rules say he must find it and put it out of misery.  There are also rules against "wanton waste" of an animal, leaving it to rot.

You ought to watch the TV program North Woods Law about hunting and fishing in Maine and you'd see how tightly regulated and patrolled it is.

Obviously the dentist did not read your rules. And that really is what we're talking about here.

These are not her rules. These are rules every hunter SHOULD know. These are rules that are taught by hunters safety classes. These classes are there to teach good hunting practices. Each hunter must take them in order to get a hunting license. And then there are times and seasons that hunting is taking place for each species. This is in order to ensure the conservation of all of them. So that none are taken in too many numbers. This has been thought out and studied and understood by those who have made conservation their life's work. 

"Life finds a way." --- Ian Malcom Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

Since this thread is titled In reference to Cecil the lion (your opinion), Killing Cecil had nothing to do with securing food for a hungry person. Do not feel anyone would disagree with hunting to feed someone if and when necessary. Securing trophies - trophies being animals - is a completely different thing and people who do that - IMO - are the lowest of the low.

Valued Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Thank you for this beauiful picture.  With that said, getting back o he OP's thoughts, we do not consume meat in our household, nor do we miss it. 

Respected Contributor

@stazgirl wrote:

TWO DIFFERENT TYPES:

Hunters hunt for the meat

TROPHY hunters hunt only for the head (the trophy) and could care less about the meat

I agree with this. A trophy hunter feels pleasure because a life was extinguished by his/her own hand.  If the hunt were truly dependent on the skill of the trophy hunter s/he would give the prey equal footing. Obviously that is not the case. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____