Respected Contributor

Re: In need of some unbiased wisdom

Almost 50 years ago, during the youthful, rebellious period of my life, I got a few tattoos and have tried to get rid of them ever since. 

Tattoos used to be a edgy & unusual (as some teens want to be), but are now mainstream & today's cultural norm, which only makes me want to get rid of them even more.

I certainly don't want to offend anyone, but today's tattoos just remind me of more social media and selfies.

Get a bracelet.

Muddling through...
Esteemed Contributor

People change opinions, you said no tattoos but now you like them

I say live and let live   Forgive  

DH gave me a very hard time when I got more ear piercings.  Too bad! my body my choice

I don't like tattoos.I know others love them.

He got a huge tattoo on his arm. Never discussed with me. His body his choice.  Right after he had it done I kept thinking; your beautiful body ruined 

He's happy  I'm glad he's happy

Honored Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

I can see a women getting one small tattoo, only one,i agree with your husband, i see people with so many on them,up and down arms ,legs ,it looks really bad.

That is simply your opinion @goldensrbest  Look around you not everybody agrees. Tattoos are a part of pop culture. They do not define a person. 

@manny2 

Of Course it’s her OWN opinion, who else’s opinion would she represent?  One logs on to post their own opinions - that goes without saying.

Additionally, OP asked for opinions.  💡 

@goldensrbest 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

We got married when we were 19 and 20. I have been married for almost 49 years to a wonderful man.

We both have learned that sometimes we have to sacrifice our wants because it would hurt or upset the other one.  If it is truly something of importance, we talk it out and compromise.

If you are asking me if I would get a tattoo against my DH's wishes...No, I would not.  It would be hurtful and disrespectful  and would open the door to him possibly doing something that I didn't like and I would have to stay quiet about it.

Doing things like this can break down trust in your relationship.  I would not die on this hill.

It's your life and your marriage..You are going to do what you want to, just choose wisely.

Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

I can see a women getting one small tattoo, only one,i agree with your husband, i see people with so many on them,up and down arms ,legs ,it looks really bad.

That is simply your opinion @goldensrbest  Look around you not everybody agrees. Tattoos are a part of pop culture. They do not define a person. 

@manny2 

Of Course it’s her OWN opinion, who else’s opinion would she represent?  One logs on to post their own opinions - that goes without saying.

Additionally, OP asked for opinions.  💡 

@goldensrbest 

I can read @Drythe What she gave her was judgement. You can have one small tattoo or it looks really bad. Yes that helps! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CritterKeeper - I have read much, but not all of this thread.  I have my own opinion which might not agree with yours or with anyone else's.  We are all different, and we all have different perspectives to offer you.

I opted not to pierce my ears.  I opted not to have any tattoos.  That said, I LOVE ART!!!! Some tattoo artists are seriously gifted in the arts, and others are not. I would never get a tattoo on my body, but I would most certainly decorate my body, without any piercings or tattoos, with jewelry, with handbags, with eyeglasses and sunglasses, with shoes and jackets, scarves and coats, and with clothing that I personally like.  I have opted for these manners of personal decoration and personalization, in place of piercings or tattoos.  Am I a stuffy person? Perhaps.  Not sure.  Some of my jewelry is not very conservative, although my clothing leans in that direction.

So, with my personal preferences and disclosures above, and with a great love of jewelry, I would advise you to purchase something wonderful to adorn your body that would not alter your body from its natural state.  To keep the peace with your husband?  Sure, why not?  We all must make compromises in our lives in order to live peacefully with our children and with our spouses.  I make compromises every single day.  Have I lost my sense of self?  No.  I recognize that not everyone feels as I do, and I know that for me to be happy, I also need to consider the needs of others in order to make them happy.

My question to you is this: Do you need that tattoo on your wrist to make you happy, or would a lovely piece of silver or gold jewelry in the shape of a dog or a paw print suffice, either on your wrist, on your finger, or around your neck? Would something removable be enough to convey your need to display your new love of fostering dogs? 

Here are three options, and they are lovely.

1. J371978 - Jai Jewelry Symbols of Love Message necklace.  It says, " Who Rescued Who" on it and it has dog paw prints, too.  Adorable.

2. J396250 - Jai Sterling Silver Dog Bracelet 

3. J402827 - Jai Sterling Silver Paw Band Ring

I have personally never felt that compromising to make someone else happy has made me less of who I am.  To the contrary, making compromises has helped me to understand my own need to be generous to others, including those who are closest to me. (My husband abhors the look of red lipstick on a woman, including on me. So, I wear pink, mauve, and neutral shades instead, because I do not want to make him less attracted to me when there are so many other lipstick options available to suit my needs that would not repulse him. If he hated all lipstick shades, I would use something like chapstick or some other lip moisturizer so my lips would not dry out. Lipstick is removable, however, and tattoos are not as easily removed. How about a temporary henna tattoo as a compromise, if you feel you want to have the image directly on your skin?) 

Esteemed Contributor

If you want another tattoo get one.  You cannot make your husband honor your decision.  He has his opinion and at this stage of the game it's not likely to change.

Esteemed Contributor

@CritterKeeper It is YOUR body, not his. You should do anything your heart desires. Your husband is being selfish and inconsiderate. Now you almost have to get it.....To make a point. Don't think twice about it! Get the tattoo. 

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@CritterKeeper It is YOUR body, not his. You should do anything your heart desires. Your husband is being selfish and inconsiderate. Now you almost have to get it.....To make a point. Don't think twice about it! Get the tattoo. 

Ya - because doing things out of spite definitely strengthens a marriage.  /sarc/

Esteemed Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud I am not saying that she should do it out of spite at all. No need for "spite." I am merely reminding her that if is HER body and her decision, not her husbands. This is 2022, after all, not 1822. I cringe when I see women let themselves be treated like a male (spouse or boyfriend) owns them...like property who has more say in what they do than the woman herself.