Frequent Contributor

In need of new luggage, need advice!

I'm traveling later this month and am in need of a new luggage set. Any advice about brands, hard or soft side, where to find best prices, etc? TIA

Frequent Contributor

Re: In need of new luggage, need advice!

Samsonite is our favorite. Well made and not too heavy. They last long, too. Bed, Bath, and Beyond carries a good selection. You can use their 20% coupon. 

Valued Contributor

I purchase all my luggage from Ebags.I don't buy black or blue suitcases anymore and I use colorful belts.Once I took a black suitcase out of the airport when I went home to visit my parents in Italy.I took it right back to the police station .It looked like mine.

Trusted Contributor

Check out the Ebags web site. Sign up for E-mails & get a certain percentage off/free shipping over (I think) $50. They always have sales going on. Great site if you know what you want & don't have to have the item in front of you to purchase. A lot of the items have videos that give more details. I've also gotten some great deals on their "daily steals". Have purchased a couple of handbags plus 2 travel suitcases from them. Be sure to check out the Ebags brand. They are very good quality & I would highly recommend them. Good luck in your search.

Respected Contributor

I love my Heys hard side.......it's lightweight to begin with and I use packing pods (got them on HSN).....they also hold a lot.  I just pop them in and go!!

Esteemed Contributor

I am a world traveller (approx 67 countries).  Go lightweight, not too big and soft sided with wheels.  I like Travel Pro and I like black (but I stencil my initials in 2" letters on both sides and use a colorful belt around bag). Additionally, I use a Sportsac weekender (all reinforced nylon, no structure very colorful)as my carryon-- I put my purse, jewelry, etc in that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I believe it depends on the how long you are traveling for; what I will pack for a weekend/a few days is very different from a week to a month. Plus, it depends on whether I need dressy, casual or dressy and casual.

I prefer the soft side as it as a bit more "give"; that's important for carry-on. I also prefer those with exapandable sides that zip out for more room (1-4 inches extra plus depending on the brand). Wheels are a must.

I own Samsonite in 2 sizes: their largest and their carry-on. I purchased them (as well as the same items for everyone in my family) at TJ Maxx; the savings was excellent and I received gift cards ($10 back after hitting so many points) so I saved quite a bit off of them.

Trusted Contributor

I have the Delsey Helium X-Pert Lite in 28" & 30" .  Took the smaller one to France last year.  It has 8 wheels instead of the usual 4.  I bought it online -- compared prices and got one with free shipping.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello, I recommend Travelpro,  soft sides easier to pack.  I like the duffles. I am not a light packer and the Travelpros have excellent wheels.  I have been using them exclusively since the first time I found them.

Light before being packed, the wheels don't break, are smooth, and (with my duffle) I can be pulling 40 pounds and it feels like nothing.  (I am not a lite packer.  Smiley Happy  )

I've used them exclusively since c. 2005.  I've gone through three dufffles, which went all around the world many times.  They get a bit worn and I donate them to the hospital thrift shop or use them in the garage for storage.  If you fly a lot, the bags get dingy looking and I like to look professional. 

Airline professionals designed these bags.  Get them on a discount site, though.  I've used ebags and I think also Amazon.  It's a very durable brand, though airline travel is brutal these days.

I like brown travel bags, not black, but really, just tie yarn around the handles (or put removable neon tape on the side) and if you have a black suitcase, you will know it on the luggage roundabout.

Super Contributor

I have and like both the hard sided and the soft sided luggage.

I have a large hard sided piece by Samsonite that has the textured shell so if it receives scratches, they can't be seen as easily. Both sides on the inside have zippered covers so I can store my clean clothes separately from the dirty clothes - I love that!

I have several soft sided pieces by Ricardo that I got and Belk and Amazon. If flying, I use my smaller 21" and carry it on the plane because of having a phobia of my luggage being lost (it was lost twice before). I'm careful with what I pack so that I won't have issues of overpacking, etc.

I agree about not buying black or blue luggage - it's easier to spot yours in the terminal if you get something different. My Samsonite is a solid lighter purple and the soft sided are patterened purples.