Esteemed Contributor

Re: In light of theatre tragedies, will you still go to movies?

Anything can happen anywhere.  

And the chance of being a victim of something like this is still very, very small.

People have been killed in their own homes by intruders, cars crashing through their living rooms, and all kinds of things.  Staying home and hiding under the covers is no guarantee of safety.

Anything can happen anywhere, anytime, to anyone.  I believe in general safety precautions, but I refuse to live my life in fear.

Esteemed Contributor

I take my grands once a week during the summer...we look forward to seeing a movie together...I would hate to stop that experience with them....so I will continue and just pray that nothing happens to us.....

Honored Contributor

The last movie I went to see was Stepbrothers.  UGH.  Walked out after the drum set scene.

DH and I were the ONLY people in the theater.  (We were doing business in the midwest....)

So if anyone walked in I would've noticed them and out of boredom, probably would've watched them in stead of the stupid movie.

I'm really out of the loop.  There's a thread started about and actor (?) on the cover of a magazine.  Have NO idea who he is and what he's been in.  (And I don't think he's the least bit handsome.  Ha!)

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the replies and you all have valid points. And yes we cant live in fear but we should be cautious.

I still didn't get Netflix and should. Our tv is a smart tv too, so yes what am I waiting for?..lol). I have recently rented movies we missed last year from Red Box (which is cheap too).

Anyway we just love the big screen best, we always did. (I have to giggle when my grand kids watch movies on their iPhones! That is just way too small IMO. But it doesn't phase them).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

Thank you for the replies and you all have valid points. And yes we cant live in fear but we should be cautious.

I still didn't get Netflix and should. Our tv is a smart tv too, so yes what am I waiting for?..lol). I have recently rented movies we missed last year from Red Box (which is cheap too).

Anyway we just love the big screen best, we always did. (I have to giggle when my grand kids watch movies on their iPhones! That is just way too small IMO. But it doesn't phase them).

I agree!  Movies are intended to be seen on big, movie theater screens, and for me nothing else can compare.

I do watch movies at home all the time, but "going to the movies" is an entirely different experience.  Love it!

Honored Contributor

Haven't been to the movies in ages and ages.  As I recall, it wasn't the same as it used to be many years prior.  We used to go out on group dates, all dressed nicely (low heels, nice coats, etc.), sitting on very comfortable rocking upholstered chairs (were they called lodges?).  Everybody seemed so respectable, etc.  Gee, what happened?  (lol)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Yes, anything can happen at any time but as someone already stated, there are copycat killers out there and they live for this stuff.  I'm not done living my life thank you very much and neither is my husband so no, we are not going to go out to the movies.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kittywhipped wrote:

Yes, anything can happen at any time but as someone already stated, there are copycat killers out there and they live for this stuff.  I'm not done living my life thank you very much and neither is my husband so no, we are not going to go out to the movies.  

I'm certainly not done living my life either.

But the chance of being killed in a movie theater is much, much less than the chance of being killed by crossing a street or driving a car or thousands of other things that people do every day.  And that's taking into account "copycat killers".  We're at far greater risk of being killed in our very own homes.  Or walking down the street.  

We all of course should do whatever makes us feel comfortable and whatever makes us feel safe.  I won't walk in front of a speeding car, and I won't go into dangerous neighborhoods by myself after dark.  But I personally see no need to stop going to the movies.  JMO, obviously!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm just glad that most movies are such atrocious duds that I have no interest to going to most any of them.

So right there, that cuts down my risk of being slaughtered in my suspiciously-Junior Mint-scented seat by a movie theater killer.

And at the rate that so much other American entertainment is going, I think we'll all be safer as there won't be much of anything worth doing as to put us in harms way. lol

"Dud summer concert series at Main Street Park this summer, honey. So that's good. Its one more place we can scratch off our list of potential hit sites."

I travel too much much and am too social a person to worry about such things. I mean, I just can't afford to worry about it.

What's the old saying? While you're looking at and worrying about the car coming right at you, its the bus that hits you from behind.

Or something like that.

If one decided to stay away from movie theaters thinking one will dodge a bullet (literally), one can still walk right into a bullet at church, at work, at the mall, at the dry cleaners, at school, on the street, in a McDonalds...or even while sitting on one's couch at home should a stray bullet whiz in or a flash mob of teen home invaders kick in one's front door, guns a'blaze, while you're just sitting there all safe watching Netflix on your 60-inch tv.

In fact, in the end, you might just get shot because you DID avoid the movie theaters and instead - in order to play it safe - you bought that dern 60-inch Sony that the burglars all want so badly.

I think there are still more home invasions than there are psycho theater killings. So one does have to ask what it is one is really avoiding not matter what one chooses to do.

Meaning...WE'RE ALL GUNNA DIE!

No. That wasn't my point. lol

Meaning that you can't live in fear because you don't really know what or from where the next thing will happen (or if anything will ever happen at all).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Only if I'm armed in some way, heh.

Since the M.O. is usually kill/maim as many people as possible, it's surprising that places like the Mall of America aren't targeted more.