Esteemed Contributor

In light of theatre tragedies, will you still go to movies?

My husband and I go to movies almost weekly. We are movie buffs. It is our time out to a movie, and we also go out to eat. Its our date day and we look forward to it, especially since I cant do a lot of active things anymore like others.

Well when the first incident happened, I was hesitant to go again. I just kept thinking about the victims and didn't know if i could go to a movie ever again. But we did.

Now skip up to the 2nd to last incident. When that happened I literally got chills having just seen that movie Trainwreck. But again we went to the movies after that. And.........

I found myself doing something I never did before. I sat there watching people come in, thinking what if?

It sounds paranoid (and Im not a paranoid person), but I kept watching this one guy during the movie who happened to have bags with him he wwas shuffling through! (probably from shopping in the mall next to the theatre). But, I kept glancing at him because he was alone, opposed to others who were with other people.

Now in just a short time from that incident, we have today's incident!

And while I do not want what some people did, to keep me home and not enjoying life, well I can say I am now rethinking going to movies!

Where we go, at the times we like to go, a lot of times its empty in the lobby and hallways, and there's many theatres in one building. So no one would even notice someone skipping to other movies, let alone something like this going on until it would be too late.

So I am undecided, and I was just wondering what you think. 

Have you and or will you let these incidents keep you from going to movies, or will you still go?

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

Re: In light of theatre tragedies, will you still go to movies?

I'm really not feeling comfortable about going with my family to see a movie anytime soon.

Too many dang copycats out there.
Honored Contributor

Of course - I love going to the movies.  I can't live my life in fear.  There are auto accidents, but I still drive my car. 

Honored Contributor

If I stopped doing things because I'm afraid, I'd never leave the house and I don't want to be like that. 

So I still plan to go to movies, eat at restaurants, shop at a store, travel when I want to. I'm going to live my life. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

IMO if we stop living our lives then the people doing these terrible acts "win".  If I want to see a movie I would still go. I also teach, and the possibility of school shootings is scary, but I live my life.  What else can one do?  Not all of these shootings are committed by terrorists.  IMO if we had a better mental health care system some of these incidents wouldn't have happened. 

Esteemed Contributor

DH never goes.  I would rarely go with my sisters, for Magic Mike or Sex In The City or some epic movies. 

The last time we went I remember looking around for exits  I never did that before.  I think I am done with movie theaters.  We have a 54" plasma TV.  That's good enough until further notice.

Trusted Contributor

We had a movie theater incident in our general area a few years ago.  Between that, and other national situations, I've become very cautious.

We usually go when my husband has a weekday off, and go early in the day.  There aren't many people and I do take note of everyone in the theater.  I also keep an eye on exits, in case someone were to sneak in.

My daughter and SIL went to see a movie a few months ago.  They felt very uncomfortable about the behavior of a person sitting a few rows behind them, and they just got up and left.

I'm not normally a paranoid person.  We used to always be on the go.  But, I do find myself wanting to go out among large groups of people less and less lately.  I think the world is becoming a very unstable place.

There are very few mental health facilities any more, so those with issues are left to roam the streets....many left homeless.  Where the economy has improved for many, there are still many people struggling and crime has dramatically increased.  And, there are so many feeling disenfranchised, and many turn to desperate acts.

We just bought a 50 inch 4K TV, have cable, Amazon Prime, and Netflix.  I'm becoming more and more content to stay home a lot more than we used to.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not crazy about the movies to begin with but if there's something I want to see I will not let the lunatics frighten me away.  It's ok to be cautious and to be aware of your surroundings, look for the exit signs and notice who might be sitting next to or across from you, but to stay home out of fear is something I can't live with.  The real question is "would I bring my grandchildren" and that's something I'd have to think about.  I can put my life out there but not theirs.  It's a shame, of course, that we have to think this way but it's a different world today than it was when most of us grew up in the 50's and 60's.  Our parents would give us money and drop us off for the Saturday afternoon matinee and we would spend hours in the theatre watching the same movie over and over again without a thought of being in any kind of danger.  What a great and carefree time in our lives that was. How sad that today's generation of kids don't have that same kind of freedom from fear.

Maria

Honored Contributor

I rarely went to the movies anyway so the shootings are just another reason to avoid them.  The other reasons are too expensive and nothing worth watching.

Honored Contributor

I haven't been to the movies for years and years.... way before any of the atrocities occurred.  They make the sound WAY TOO LOUD for me....... it actually hurts my ears.  I don't think I've thoroughly enjoyed the movie experience since Dolby sound came on the scene and it doesn't matter where I sit, loud noises, music, explosions actually hurts me.

So I've always waited until it came out on Disk (or Tape before that) or pay for it through Netflex and we enjoy it at home.....  Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*