Honored Contributor

Re: In light of theatre tragedies, will you still go to movies?

Things just aren't the same in many/some theaters now-a-days.  No matter how expensive an area, etc.  Just lots of disrespectful folks around, leaving food everywhere, talking loudly, etc.  So many 'cons' (vrs. 'pros') that I prefer to fondly remember the movie theater experiences of many years ago...........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I'm going tomorrow morning to see Ricki and the Flash.  The thought never crossed my mind, not to go.

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY  So funny you mentioned that! The first mental picture I got was of the "stickies!" The second thing that came to mind was people talking/moving!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

I've been praying the 91st Psalm over my life and my family's life for a few years now.  It really is a lovely psalm and it contains God's promise to keep us safe in any situation so I feel comfortable living my life and being very aware of my surroundings at the same time. 

Honored Contributor

We don't go to movies every week.  It has to be a movie that we have to see on the big screen.  LOL

I am always cautious out in big public places, but if it's my time, it's my time. 

Respected Contributor

If you let fear control your behavior, the terrorists win. And make no mistake these jerks are terrorists.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Englishrose wrote:

In this day of PC, it is expected to say 'I won't let fear dictate' however,  I am with you....I'm not in any hurry to go to a movie theatre.  How is it a fun and entertaining excursion if you have to watch the people around you...as they come and go..look for and be aware of an exit strategy and constantly be on the alert for a sound that doesn't belong in the movie.....and you get to pay for this uncomfortable experience.  The times...they are achangin'. ...at some point you have to accept that things are not the same as it used to be and look for a 'different' way to do things.  

I completely disagree.  Being "PC" has nothing to do with my decision to live my life the way I choose.  I take normal precautions, but I do not live my life in fear, worrying about what's around every corner.  Because we never know what could happen, or where it could happen.  You are fooling yourself if you think you're safe anywhere.  People can get shot & killed standing on the street, in their own homes, or waiting in line at the post office, and that's far more likely to happen than to be shot at in a movie theater.  I refuse to let fear cause me to lose common sense.

If you can't enjoy being at the movies because you feel you have to watch the people around you and constantly be "on alert", then by all means don't go.  But for me - and many others - that doesn't describe at all how we act or how we feel when we're there.  It's not an uncomfortable experience for me in the slightest.  The odds of getting hit by a car on my way out are much, much greater than of being the victim of violence in a movie theater.  I'm in theaters all the time (Broadway, movies, etc), and I never have trouble relaxing and enjoying my time there

If your "different way of doing things" is to stay home and hide under the covers, then I say, "No, thanks!"  Partly because I think it's foolish to live my life that way, but mostly because hiding at home and under the covers is no guarantee of safety either.  There's a far greater chance of being killed in a home invasion than of being shot in a movie theater.

So thanks, but I don't feel I have to accept anything other than what my own mind & heart tell me.  And you, of course, should do whatever feels right for you.

Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, there are CRAZIES EVERYWHERE.......I just try to be aware of my surroundings.....what a world my grandchildren have to grow up in......makes me very sad...