Esteemed Contributor

Re: In a drive thru how close do you get the car....

The only drive-thu I use is at the bank and car wash.

I always leave enough room that I'm able to see the entire back end of the vehicle in front of me (including the tires).

I don't want to breathe their exhaust! I do turn my ignition off when waiting in line, but many do not.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I do know there are laws about blocking a drive or an intersection though....no idea regarding a drive-thru...you should ask someone at Chick fil-a...now those people know how to do drive- thru’s!
Honored Contributor

I leave maybe three to four feet at a drive through....a little more at the bank. Most of the people I see do as well

I sometimes pick up my granddaughter from school.  Cars start arriving early and the cars in the back have to wait in line on a public highway at a stop sign in two different directions. The early birds queue up on school property.

This creates a problem and cars that are passing by and pulling into the school's drive way have to carefully go around the line of cars at the stop sign waiting for an opportunity to get in the queue.

I usually am one of the last cars on school property.  I can see all of the cars in front of me ( curved driveway) and usually notice that many cars do not pull forward and leave up to three car lengths between them and the car in front of them.  When a couple of cars do this, it creates more problems for those still waiting off school property on the public roads.

Last year, I left my spot in line and passed everyone on their left and found a place in the front of the line in a vacant space left by someone not pulling forward.The car that was now behind me starting honking and the woman was screaming at me.  I just ignored her.  It didn't help or change things. The  cars continued to leave a large space between them the next day.

I just don't get this mentality and don't understand the need to hog up a couple of spaces.

Honored Contributor

I've only been in a drive thru twice in my life .... and not for many years.

Honored Contributor

Eight feet between seems right to me.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie  Cutting in line is unacceptable and  totally lacking in manners. 

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Have not been to a drive through in forever.  In general you should leave enough room to be able to leave the line and/or see the rear tires.  Not sure that you can block a road just to get in line.

Never go through a drive through.  Do not eat or drink that junk.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

I leave maybe three to four feet at a drive through....a little more at the bank. Most of the people I see do as well

I sometimes pick up my granddaughter from school.  Cars start arriving early and the cars in the back have to wait in line on a public highway at a stop sign in two different directions. The early birds queue up on school property.

This creates a problem and cars that are passing by and pulling into the school's drive way have to carefully go around the line of cars at the stop sign waiting for an opportunity to get in the queue.

I usually am one of the last cars on school property.  I can see all of the cars in front of me ( curved driveway) and usually notice that many cars do not pull forward and leave up to three car lengths between them and the car in front of them.  When a couple of cars do this, it creates more problems for those still waiting off school property on the public roads.

Last year, I left my spot in line and passed everyone on their left and found a place in the front of the line in a vacant space left by someone not pulling forward.The car that was now behind me starting honking and the woman was screaming at me.  I just ignored her.  It didn't help or change things. The  cars continued to leave a large space between them the next day.

I just don't get this mentality and don't understand the need to hog up a couple of spaces.

@CarmieI think you were trying to control the line and pulled a stunt to "prove a point" which proved nothing.

Did you really think everyone was watching you and thinking "Tomorrow I won't hog a space?" 

If I saw somebody pull that stunt I would think the person was impatient and rude.

How important was this?

And on school property???  You are lucky an errant child didn't dart out in front of you.

Space between cars aside, there is a reason for lines when getting children.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

Have not been to a drive through in forever.  In general you should leave enough room to be able to leave the line and/or see the rear tires.  Not sure that you can block a road just to get in line.

Never go through a drive through.  Do not eat or drink that junk.

@SeaMaiden.  We use the drive thru at the bank. Usually for the ATM. It’s so much easier than having to park and go in the bank.

Honored Contributor

(thread title only)

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Only time I go to one is when my wife wants something there. I leave enough room, same amount I leave when stopping behind a vehicle on a steep incline. Some have manual transmissions and either roll back a bit, or kill the engine.

And there are those that for some reason put their auto transmissions  in Park  while waiting, and most gear selectors have an "R" for reverse between Park and Drive. Sooo! Have seen this happen many times over the years. In reality, me in a drive through is an anomaly, unless my wife is at the wheel. Can you say "Starbucks"? Out of my price range! $5-6 for a cup of Joe! No thanks.

hckynut

hckynut(john)