Honored Contributor

Re: In a drive thru how close do you get the car....

@qvcfreak That's always been the way I've done it.

Honored Contributor

If you stay back of the car in front of you far enough to see its tires, you would have enough room to pull out of line if that car stalled or you suddenly had to leave the line.  This is a good rule to follow when waiting at a traffic light too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It depends on who is in front of me. If that person can't see me then I would feel uncomfortably too close. I've been backed into by someone in a large vehicle who didn't know I was behind him...and I wasn't that close.

Honored Contributor

Gosh, I think that this would be a no-brainer. Never block a street and move up when you can. If someone doesn't move (which happens often elsewhere), there's nothing you can do about it).

Maybe I'm clueless because I don't do drive-up.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

If the drive-through line crosses the parking lot I’ve been known to leave a larger space so that parked vehicles can get in and out. It’s the polite thing to do.
Honored Contributor

At least 3 feet; just in case the car ahead is a straight drive, and drifts backwards a little.   

Esteemed Contributor

I go to drive ins several times a week and I leave about five feet but it wouldn't happen at THAT drive in as I'd find another fast-food place (unless it was In n Out: their lines are always huge ( but they send out workers with portable order tablets so line moves quickly).

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

I leave the same amount of space as I do at a red light. The basic formula is as follows:

You (driver) should be able to see the rear ties (of the car in front of you) resting on the pavement.

If you're so close you can only see their trunk or rear bumper, but not their tires touching the road, you are too close. 

That seems like a good rule of thumb.

When I think about it I rarely go to a drive thru but I think I leave a few feet. I see no point to sit on someone's bumper.  And leaving a car length is fine I guess.  It's not like you're going to get to the window any faster if you sit up close.  

Cat LOL

Respected Contributor

Had this issue today, what's wrong with people! Stop using your phone, daydreaming, fiddling around & pay attention....pull up to the bumper of car in front of you because no one is getting out of line & the people behind you want to order, pay & go. 

Honored Contributor

Pretty darn close to their bumper.

My HUGE pet peeve is the lack of common sense that I see ALL the time when it comes to people blocking the exit of the drive through. Nowhere is this more evident (where I live) then at Chick-Fil-A. For some reason, people fail to understand that if you block the ONLY WAY OUT then the line will NEVER move. Even when they are told by someone who WORKS for Chick-Fil-A, they respond with the middle finger and sit there. Even when you lean on your horn RIGHT UP NEXT TO THEIR WINDOW (because you're the one who is done at the drive-through window), they just sit there. Doesn't matter which one I go to, I see it happening either while in the lane or while sitting inside the restaurant.

I mean, really?!