Esteemed Contributor

In a drive thru how close do you get the car....

in front of you.  DD and I made a quick trip to Dunkin to just get out.  You turn off the highway unto secondary road and then turn into drive thru area. It was packed and when we pulled in and we were just completely off the road.  People behind us had to wait in their lane with blinker going until we all moved forward.

DD pointed out that 3 cars ahead of us were almost a full car length from the car in front of them. Pull up some for gosh sakes.

I don't sit on someone's back bumper but I don't leave a full car length either.

I've seen people block the road because there is not enough room to get their car totally in line.

How much room do you leave in a drive thru?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: In a drive thru how close do you get the car....

Have not been to a drive through in forever.  In general you should leave enough room to be able to leave the line and/or see the rear tires.  Not sure that you can block a road just to get in line.

Honored Contributor

Enough to not hit them and not enough to let someone pull in between.  I don't know. Is there a rule?  I never think about it.  I don't think most people have an issue with this do they?  I have no answer.  I am ashamed.

Esteemed Contributor

Enough for me to see the license plates of the car in front of me. 

Honored Contributor

Didn't we have a thread a few weeks ago about a take out drive through that blocked a poster from leaving because the line was so long and went out onto the road?

I have no idea if there is a rule book about drive through etiquette.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining  I have seen folks block the road on occasion.  I stopped going Sat. mornings due to the amount of cars.  If you sit on the secondary road waiting your turn to get in line the cars behind you go out to the highway.

Dunkins is in a covenience store and they have a lot of gas pumps. You have to really watch driving in and around there. Whoever owns it is making money hand over fist.  Never have a quiet time of day.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3   Sorry, didn't know there was a previous thread.

Respected Contributor

i never go to the drive-thrus and i only go to Dunkins . i like to see who is waiting on me.

Honored Contributor

No more than a few feet.

Esteemed Contributor

I leave the same amount of space as I do at a red light. The basic formula is as follows:

You (driver) should be able to see the rear ties (of the car in front of you) resting on the pavement.

If you're so close you can only see their trunk or rear bumper, but not their tires touching the road, you are too close.