Respected Contributor

Re: In Person and Online

[ Edited ]

I used to drink  to fit in and feel like I belonged and to talk more. Now I dont drink at all. So Im back to this quiet, shy person much of the time Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Because of being more quiet and shy than alot of other people, much of the time people think that Im a stuck up type of person or unfriendly.  Smiley Sad   

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

Because of being more quiet and shy than alot of other people, much of the time people think that Im a stuck up type of person or unfriendly.  Smiley Sad   

Oh wow, I so understand that!  I've had people think exactly that of me because I'm basically shy.

Once I feel like I know people I'm not so shy but if I walk into a room (or a board online) of people I don't know I am painfully shy and will find a corner to just observe. 

Then, after I get to know people they will tell me that before they knew me they thought I was stuck up.     I mean, what do you say to people you don't know?  I am not into small talk.  If I have something to say it should be substantive in some way or another.  Otherwise, I zip it.

You're not alone, Bear!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear 

You sound like my wife when I first met her. Now! Little by little she started morphing into a person more like me.

Sure, I did tell her to stand up more for herself, along with expressing her opinions when she didn't agree with someone, or something.

She barely drank, I drank a lot of beer. I was not a Jekyll and Hyde no matter the number of beers. Drunk? Probably and legally, but most couldn't tell by how I acted. Haven't had any alcohol now for over 20 years.

My wife now, while not quite the same as myself, is nowhere near the same as when I first met her. At times I wonder, what if I would have? Never mind!

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Good or bad, I only know how to be me.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One thing I've struggled with, as far as wearing masks out in public (which I DO, of course, because I'm a good citizen even though I have breathing and anxiety problems), is that I've always been a people-watcher.  I always acknowledge others  with a smile.   But now, wearing a mask, I miss that a lot.   

The funny/stupid/odd/whatever thing is that I still find that I automatically smile under my mask when I pass by somebody, or am otherwise in the presence of others.  

Honored Contributor

I can't believe that people actually come out and tell someone they thought they were *stuck up*!  How rude/crude.  That's probably the last thing I'd let that person say to me.  I mean--who says that?

Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@FlowerBear 

You sound like my wife when I first met her. Now! Little by little she started morphing into a person more like me.

Sure, I did tell her to stand up more for herself, along with expressing her opinions when she didn't agree with someone, or something.

She barely drank, I drank a lot of beer. I was not a Jekyll and Hyde no matter the number of beers. Drunk? Probably and legally, but most couldn't tell by how I acted. Haven't had any alcohol now for over 20 years.

My wife now, while not quite the same as myself, is nowhere near the same as when I first met her. At times I wonder, what if I would have? Never mind!

hckynut 🏒

My husband is an extrovert and I was shy and quiet when we met. Now I'm nothing like my old self. I find myself saying some of the silly sayings he says to people and talking up a storm to everyone I meet. 

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

In some ways but others no. I do not talk about controversial things in person with people. I'm very friendly to everyone though and usually try to start a conversation with most people. Some people you can tell just aren't in the mood. 

Basically, yes. The only difference is that here I need to be very careful how I word certain comments. Also, I swear a lot in person. :-)

I swear a lot in person as well but not to strangers lol 

@Lali1, very wise of you. The only time I might swear AT strangers is if I know they can't hear me. :-)

I got caught doing that once. Someone had parked too close to my huge truck making it almost impossible to get my groceries in. I was cussing him up a storm when he suddenly walked up to his car 😄 

Oh, that could have gone very wrong @Lali1 

When I was kid first driving, some friends and I were out for a spin on a two-way canyon road. I was secretly scared to death, so I guess I was going too slowly for the car behind me. He was on my tail. So what did this kid do? I gave him a particular finger.

He pulled into the other lane and got out of his car to approach my window. I opened it a little, and he gave me advice regarding said finger and my mother. I was so petrified that I could barely keep saying how sorry I was.

I still feel very lucky to have survived my idiocy.

Sounds really scary.
I did that once to a guy following me and my hubby too close. My hubby's phone rings and it's his friend following us. Needless to say I do not give anyone the finger nor to I gripe out loud about people in a parking lot. 

Respected Contributor

I'm pretty much the same both places.  I enjoy talking to people and am pretty outgoing.  But if someone shows their fanny, I avoid them...both online and in real life.