Super Contributor

Re: In 3 days Scotland will decide its fate!

On 9/16/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:
On 9/16/2014 RainCityGirl said:

My roots are Scottish and English. I know there is animosity between the two countries dating way back in history, but I am doubtful that Scotland can take this on economically. I am also dubious as to whether the Scottish people, when push comes to shove, will part with tradition. It remains to be seen. Besides, who will they have to blame for anything and everything if they are no longer part of the UK? And will they collect taxes on Balmoral?

The eastern part of my state at one point wanted to secede from the state and become their own state. The only problem is they got most of their money from the heavier populated western side of the state. They could never have existed as an independent separate state, and they knew it. It was just some fantasy they could never make a reality.

I think eastern Washington would survive. And thrive.

LOL. I'd love to see them try. It wouldn't bother me one bit to see that side of the state secede and go it on their own without benefits of our taxes boosting them. I was born and raised on the eastern side, and I would not go back there for any amount of money in the world.

Super Contributor

On 9/16/2014 straykatz said:

RainCityGirl....that is much like Canada and the French wanting to seperate Quebec from the rest of the country....IMO economically they would never survive on their own

One of the problems I have heard expressed with the French vs English Canadians is the fact the the country is bi-lingual which can be problematic when it comes to cohesiveness and unity. I love most of Canada, including Quebec province...very picturesque and charming. Imagine my surprise when I was doing genealogical research for my family and I found a huge settlement of Scottish immigrants in the Chateauguay Valley. And there were all my relatives in the records of the United Church of Scotland.

Esteemed Contributor

The idealism of independance and the realism of it can be vastly different and not in a good way.

I hope whatever they decide works in their best interest.

Yes -- My sis is an international economist and she has similar concerns. I am concerned about keeping European and Western powers united and strong. It makes me wonder how radical, self-serving factions would be able to take advantage of this shift in Europe.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

The vote is to separate from Great Britain not just England. I think a lot of Scot's who are saying they will vote yes, will actually vote no when it comes down to the wire. They may not admit they voted no but it is just too much of a risk. I just hope that this divisiveness doesn't cause a lasting problem for Scotland. Many families have been torn with people having differing views.
Honored Contributor

Sorry to go O/T, but what's the rift between eastern Washington state and western WA??

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/16/2014 ury said:

The idealism of independance and the realism of it can be vastly different and not in a good way.

I hope whatever they decide works in their best interest.

Yes -- My sis is an international economist and she has similar concerns. I am concerned about keeping European and Western powers united and strong. It makes me wonder how radical, self-serving factions would be able to take advantage of this shift in Europe.

There should be no doubt as to where the loyalties of those countries would lie. To think otherwise is absurd.

Respected Contributor

Scotland needs to be it's own nation........they've waited long enough.......Braveheart would be proud ...............................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

Meaning what? the EU would gobble up $$ and resources an independent Scotland that was not supported/protected for better or a worse by the UK.
Honored Contributor

Wallace!!!!!!
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Trusted Contributor

On 9/16/2014 raven-blackbird said:

Scotland needs to be it's own nation........they've waited long enough.......Braveheart would be proud Smile...............................raven

This is not the 14th century and I don't think most Scots will make this decision on an emotional basis. There are serious political, social and economic issues and good arguments on both sides.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.