Honored Contributor

Re: In 2019, Nearly Half of All Cellphone Calls Will be Scams 😧

I rarely have unwanted calls via my cell phone.  But my land line is a different story.  Tons of it.  3 of them today alone.  I'm on all the do not call lists, but they keep coming.  It's increased two fold after I first got the cell phone. We're considering getting rid of the land line.

Esteemed Contributor

Too many to block these days. I simply don't answer.  My suggestion, wait for a message if there is one.  And then call back.  

Respected Contributor

@godi wrote:

That’s really depressing. Well I won’t answer them either. Block as many as you can also. 

That's what I do....never answer my phone IF I don't know that #!  THen I block it!  

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I have my cellphone set to only receive calls from my contact list and I never, ever get spam or sales calls.

Could I ask what kind of phone you have that allows you to do that??  I have a Android with Verizon and as far as I can tell I have to block them as they come in.  I don't answer the call and they don't leave a message so I know it's scammers so I then block it.  I like this feature you are talking about please share more.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't answer any calls (other than regular known calls) unless they leave a voicemail. 

If it's important, they will leave a message. 

Lots of scammers on my cell (and of course land line, which I don't answer). 

I know a few seniors who fell, trying to rush to their land lines.

It really is a hazard, and there should be some sort of ban against phone solcitors calling seniors.

I just don't know why some sort of politicians haven't acted on this nuisance.  It is a danger to the elderly and other folks who have physical issues. 

Lots of potential votes to whoever/whomever decides to take on this problem.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I never answer the phone from any calls not in my contact list but OMG the calls are so annoying.  I get at least 4 a day.  They look like a local number, having my area code and the same first 3 digits that I have for my cell phone.

But they are all from a card service center or about my credit cards, etc.  I made the mistake of answering 2 different numbers once because I thought it was a contractor.  Now I refuse to answer.  I figure if it's legit, they'll leave a message.  I block the number if no message is left but they just change to a different number.  I don't know how many numbers I have blocked on my phone.  LOL

With my landline I didn't get these calls because we had nomorobo and it took care of the calls.   

Don't feel bad...

I made the mistake a few months ago of answering a spoofed call that looked like it came from a legitimate local number. I thought that it was a legitimate phone call for my husband. 

It wasn't. When I answered it, no one was on the other end of the phone. 

Since that call, we have been flooded with these types of local spoof calls that look like they come from our area.

I looked one of the numbers up one day and it made me feel sick to see that someone was using a number from a local person who had passed away. Smiley Sad

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The scam calls have been coming in droves the past 10 days. Everything from credit card rate reduction to the police coming after me, knee and neck braces, social security scam, free vacation scam, Microsoft computer virus, to the “Grandma, I am in jail and need $.” Even if I don’t answer they are leaving voice messages. Over half my calls are these creeps now, pretty soon my phone will just be a call blocker.

Honored Contributor

I don't care.  It is what it is.  Cell phones are one of the miracles of our time but nothing in this world comes without some problems.  I don't obsess over scam calls and junk calls.  I just use my common sense and I my cell phone company flashes "Likely a Scam call" for many of those calls.  Blocking them doesn't work anymore so I don't waste my time.  If a call gets through, I can tell within a few seconds and I hang up.  I don't know about that 50% number but I do know that the number of junk calls on my cell continues to grow.  But I get many more on my landline, which I only use for the fax machine.  I don't know that number by heart, I have never given it out as phone number but everyday I see scores of junk calls flash across my tv screen.  My friend says that she gets junk faxes now.  Flyers from people selling services and stuff.  Of course, it would greatly dimish if the scammers weren't profitting from this.  Sadly, tragically there are still people out there who let themselves be victimized.  

Honored Contributor

It's become a daily/hourly nuisance for many. 

I can't believe the difference in the quality of life regarding peace and quiet. 

From no calls, unless it's someone we know, to calls all day long from people we don't know.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).