Honored Contributor

Re: In 2019, Nearly Half of All Cellphone Calls Will be Scams 😧

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I have my cellphone set to only receive calls from my contact list and I never, ever get spam or sales calls.

@KingstonsMom: That's a good idea. But l thought of one situation where that wouldn't work: If your doctor Is calling you from a cellphone that's not on your contacts list, you could miss an important call. Woman Sad

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

Just what we need, more scam calls – Not.

I was glad to read that the FCC is allowing phone companies to block these calls.  Our phone company marks them as scams on our landline but hopefully they’ll block them entirely so they don’t come through at all. 

@KingstonsMom I like the idea of setting the cell phone to only accept calls from the contact list.  I never answer when it’s not someone on my contact list because I don’t give out the number so I know it’s a scam.

@cotton4me: My phone company marks many robocalls as "SPAM ?." The only problem is, some of these that they detect as Spam are actually public service announcements or storm warnings from my county. Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@GAQShopr53 wrote:

This is an interesting and believable article...I am starting to believe the "Do Not Call" List was a ploy to get people's numbers and somehow the scammer's were able to get this list. I receive more scam/fake calls via my landline than I do my cell phone. I am thinking because I did not put my cell phone number on the DNC list. This is jut my observation and with the invention of the Internet and the ability to place phone call via Skype and other methods that yes the cell phone will be a scammers target because of the difficulty in tracking the origin of the calls. I have the IPhone and love the block feature...I also have an app through Verizon that filters out calls on the cell phone but you have to still check the numbers because the occasional good number will be labeled as a potential scam number.

@GAQShopr53: I signed up for the DNC registry many years ago, when it first began. It has worked for me in the past, when actual businesses were making unsolicited calls. I got several follow-up phone calls from the FCC, asking to confirm my information b/c the businesses l reported were being fined.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work most of the time any more, since the vast majority of these calls are from criminals, not actual businesses. But l still believe it pays to sign up with the DNC.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@handygal2   Thank you for the excellent article, which just confirms my experiences. Most of my calls on cells and landline are scammers which is why I never answer the phone anymore.  I simply check my voicemail (which rarely do they leave one) to see if I need to return any calls that were legit.  I'm considering setting the cells to ringing through only if on the Contact List.  

Every day I'm blocking almost all calls that come in, but like the article said the same people are just spoofing or changing the last four digits of the same number so you are continually blocking the same people calling daily from different numbers. I am not emotionally vested in this process, I just push block and don't get angry,,,,if I did then the scammers have won with their invasive tactics.  It is best just to recognize the reality of this situation and take care of business by spending a second blocking and getting on with your life.

The people who continue to pick up the phone to give the caller "a piece of their mind" need to understand that they just played into the hands of these scammers.  They will only now sell your number to other scammers because you just proved that you are a live number who will answer the phone.  I just don't pick up the phone anymore unless I know the number/person.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@handygal2   Thank you for the excellent article, which just confirms my experiences. Most of my calls on cells and landline are scammers which is why I never answer the phone anymore.  I simply check my voicemail (which rarely do they leave one) to see if I need to return any calls that were legit.  I'm considering setting the cells to ringing through only if on the Contact List.  Every day I'm blocking almost all calls that come in, but like the article said the same people are just spoofing or changing the last four digits of the same number so you are continually blocking the same people calling daily from different numbers. I am not emotionally vested in this process, I just push block and don't get angry,,,,if I did then the scammers have won with their invasive tactics.  It is best just to recognize the reality of this situation and take care of business by spending a second blocking and getting on with your life.

The people who continue to pick up the phone to give the caller "a piece of their mind" need to understand that they just played into the hands of these scammers.  They will only now sell your number to other scammers because you just proved that you are a live number who will answer the phone.  I just don't pick up the phone anymore unless I know the number/person.

@phoenixbrd: Excellent points. It occurred to me, though, that when l let these calls go to voicemail, it proves that mine is a "live" number, no different than if l had answered the call. So it seems l can't win either way. My friend disconnected her answering machine from her landline phone altogether, but l'm not sure l'm ready to do that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@handygal2  Yes, I've thought of that also,  When using the contact list only, I wonder if the other incoming calls continue to go to the voicemail.  There are people who simply turn the phone off unless they are making an outgoing call.  This is drastic as you won't receive any critical/emergency situation calls, but it is being done.  I wonder if this is where we are headed.

@handygal2 wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@handygal2   Thank you for the excellent article, which just confirms my experiences. Most of my calls on cells and landline are scammers which is why I never answer the phone anymore.  I simply check my voicemail (which rarely do they leave one) to see if I need to return any calls that were legit.  I'm considering setting the cells to ringing through only if on the Contact List.  Every day I'm blocking almost all calls that come in, but like the article said the same people are just spoofing or changing the last four digits of the same number so you are continually blocking the same people calling daily from different numbers. I am not emotionally vested in this process, I just push block and don't get angry,,,,if I did then the scammers have won with their invasive tactics.  It is best just to recognize the reality of this situation and take care of business by spending a second blocking and getting on with your life.

@phoenixbrd: Excellent points. It occurred to me, though, that when l let these calls go to voicemail, it proves that mine is a "live" number, no different than if l had answered the call. So it seems l can't win either way. My friend disconnected her answering machine from her landline phone altogether, but l'm not sure l'm ready to do that.

Honored Contributor

When we put our house on the market I gave the realtor my cell phone # so he could text me when he had a viewing. His company sold those numbers to a telemarketer. I had so many scam phone calls - 15 - 20 a day for a while. I had to install a app in my phone to block them.Now 9 months later they are finally down to only a few a day - maybe 3 to 4. I could not go into here on this board what I'd have liked to have down to that realtor for seling that #.

Honored Contributor

I don't ever - ever answer calls from numbers I'm not familiar with (or in my contacts).  I don't know why so many people do.  If the call is really important - they'll leave a message (which I'd check quickly) and call right back.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

When we put our house on the market I gave the realtor my cell phone # so he could text me when he had a viewing. His company sold those numbers to a telemarketer. I had so many scam phone calls - 15 - 20 a day for a while. I had to install a app in my phone to block them.Now 9 months later they are finally down to only a few a day - maybe 3 to 4. I could not go into here on this board what I'd have liked to have down to that realtor for seling that #.

@151949: Wow, what an unethical realtor!! You had no choice but to give him your cell #. I won't give mine to anyone unless l feel it's absolutely necessary.

Honored Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

Just what we need, more scam calls – Not.

I was glad to read that the FCC is allowing phone companies to block these calls.  Our phone company marks them as scams on our landline but hopefully they’ll block them entirely so they don’t come through at all. 

@KingstonsMom I like the idea of setting the cell phone to only accept calls from the contact list.  I never answer when it’s not someone on my contact list because I don’t give out the number so I know it’s a scam.

How do you set your cellphone to do that?