Esteemed Contributor

Re: In 1918, Americans Were Asked to Wear Masks. Some Refused - and Paid the Price

Thanks for the article, @golding76 -- very interesting read.  A couple months ago, I watched a documentary regarding the 1918 "flu"  (can't remember if it was on PBS or History Channel).  It was quite eye-opening since we seemed to be going thru the same thing now.  Freaky.  I asked my 100-yr-old father about the "flu" - he wasn't born until it was over, but he remembered his parents and others talking about it when he was a kid. Disagreements about masks, businesses closing, cancelling events, etc. 

Who says history doesn't repeat itself? 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Re: In 1918, Americans Were Asked to Wear Masks. Some Refused - and Paid the Price

@Marp   Some very interesting articles linked on your other thread...I've marked them to read for later when I get a chance...thank you!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Deleted.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

I like the dark coat with the belt on the lady in the left and the grey coat on the lady in the middle even though she has her mask on wrong.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Porcelain,

A bit off-topic, but Pinterest had these 1917 women's overcoats on display.  Great style!

Great price!

Button Up Your Overcoat, 1917 | Women overcoat, Overcoats, Coats ...

Honored Contributor

SuzyQ3:

I deleted mine.  Maybe you can delete yours (?)

Thanks for the suggestion.  I truly didn't realize it.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

SuzyQ3:

I deleted mine.  Maybe you can delete yours (?)

Thanks for the suggestion.  I truly didn't realize it.

@ROMARY, done! Thanks.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Barbara in Virginia wrote:

I'm with Dr. Cranston then and Dr. Fauci now.  What happened to our Social Contract?  Don't we have a civic responsibility to refrain from harming our fellow citizens?  We have many laws on the book to that end, such as not driving drunk. My faith instructs me to love my neighbor.  Does that not mean to refrain from harming him?  And what about plain and simple manners?  Are we no longer a civil society?

ITA. My parents are elderly. They have gone to the same church for years, have tithed that 10 percent, have been very active. My parents are elderly, dad in his 80s, mom in her 70s. They stayed home, watching the services online at first, then a few weeks ago, my dad wanted to go to chuch. He wore his mask, but he said a lot of the people were not. He hasn't been back and says he isn't going because with his health issues, he doesn't feel its safe.

It really gets my goat that some of the ones who put themselves on a pedestal for being in church every time the door is open, are now refusing to wear masks. 

In my opinion, that refusal of wearing a mask says a heck of a lot more about them, than the fact they are in church every time th door is open. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Can we hear an "amen" for Happycat01?

You spoke the truth, Happycat.  And those who put themselves forth as caring, God-fearing, etc., people who stubbornly insist on their "freedom" and put others at risk by refusing to wear a mask -- they are in a class by themselves.  They think they're tough, but we know that's not the motivation.  

I'm saddened by the fact that your elderly parents cannot enjoy their church because of benighted knuckleheads.

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Can we hear an "amen" for Happycat01?

You spoke the truth, Happycat.  And those who put themselves forth as caring, God-fearing, etc., people who stubbornly insist on their "freedom" and put others at risk by refusing to wear a mask -- they are in a class by themselves.  They think they're tough, but we know that's not the motivation.  

I'm saddened by the fact that your elderly parents cannot enjoy their church because of benighted knuckleheads.

Thank you for your sweet words, @golding76.

The pastor of the biggest church in my small town, probably around 250 folks go there, posted yesterday on fb that a person in that church has tested positive for covid and they will be only doing online services for the next few weeks. 

There have been several local churches who have had folks test positive, and yet, some still refuse to wear masks to church. I don't get it.