Honored Contributor

Re: Improvement to Grocery Self Checkout

I like using the ones at Target, went shopping with a  friend a few weeks back and I checked her out at self checkout, she was skeptical and we were done quickly while the manned check out lines were very long 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

My local supermarket has self checkouts with a notation for 20 items or less. They always have a dedicated person to handle problems. Of course when there are multiple problems, you stil have to wait till he or she is free.

I like using them, often faster

Respected Contributor

I didn't like Nightowlz' comment about people being "too lazy" to use self-checkout.

I don't use self-checkout because I want to keep PEOPLE employed.

Respected Contributor

The best self checkout was at my Pathmark.  (I'm still sad that store closed!). It was a regular check out with the full-sized belt and bagging area.  They only had one like that but no one ever used it.  Every time I went there I had my own personal lane lol

Honored Contributor

The WM near me has 30 checkout lines. Have never seen more than two open with a cashier. I always use the self-checkout if I go to WM because it is almost the only way to check out. I am fortunate that they have a huge garden dept with a cashier check-out...and usually someone manning it, but I still prefer the self check-out. I rarely am buying that much so sacking it in my own bags is no big deal.
Honored Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

The best self checkout was at my Pathmark.  (I'm still sad that store closed!). It was a regular check out with the full-sized belt and bagging area.  They only had one like that but no one ever used it.  Every time I went there I had my own personal lane lol

Yes, Pathmark had big self checkouts!  They've been gone for a few years of course though I remember at least one SCO that included a bag carousel!  What luxury.

carousel.jpg

Honored Contributor

wouldn't that be nice if they had some kind of cart available in Dillards, SteinMart places that sell clothes.  Sure would take the load off of my arm and shoulder that has a heavy bag on it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

wouldn't that be nice if they had some kind of cart available in Dillards, SteinMart places that sell clothes.  Sure would take the load off of my arm and shoulder that has a heavy bag on it. 

@SharkE 

The SteinMarts in my area do have shopping carts, up front by the registers. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most debit cards can also be used as a credit card. Just hit “credit” when prompted. You won’t get a bill for it...the money will come out of your account as a debit purchase.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well those bag carousels aren't a "luxury"--they're a thing of the past in this environmentally-conscious age.

Wegmans (NY) chucked the bags effective 1/31 of this year. I LOVE self-checkout but expect at least a few people to muck it up. Yesterday, for example, a young woman ahead of me had a reusable bag full of groceries. When she got to the self-checkout, and was directed to place her [empty] bag on the counter, it "read" that items hadn't been scanned. (Because they hadn't been.) So she (and the clerk whose time she monopolized) had to find a place to put them so that the EMPTY bag could be placed in its appropriate spot, and the groceries scanned.

All of this, of course, could easily have been avoided by using a mini-cart to shop.

What worries you masters you.