Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Improvement to Grocery Self Checkout

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@gizmogal wrote:

The self checkout in my local chain supermarket does not accept cash or debit cards. Only credit cards!! I think that's ridiculous and inconvenient and if I were looking for an improvement, I'd start with allowing me a choice of how to pay. I have to go to a line with a cashier if I want to pay cash or use a debit card. 

I really don't want to put $1.29 on my credit card for, say, a quart of milk, if that's all I purchased. A lot of those kind of quick purchases would make verifying the credit card bill very tedious.  I do go to the 10-item-or-less cashier for a quicker checkout, but I'd use the machine if it accepted cash. 

Bagging inadequacies are the least of my objections to self checkout where I shop. 

@gizmogal The Staples copy center has done away with the pre-paid cards used in the copy machines and now only accept credit cards!  There is no other option available - so you now have to use your credit card for 24¢.

Happy to have the info you've provided, so thanks!   I'll avoid using Staples for self-serve photo copying. Fortunately, my home computer printer also makes copies.  My public library only charges 10 cents a page and accepts cash at the front desk if I have to use their machine. Glad I have options. 

Honored Contributor

I always use self-checkout (SCO) and, fortunately, most every store (large chains) has it.  Space allotted for bags varies widely.  For example, Shoprite can accomodate many bags, say five or six, while CVS has room for one or, if you're lucky, two.  I agree that more space is generally better.  But I wish that supermarkets made some SCO express only; it's not very nice to have only a few items and be waiting on a person with a cartful of groceries slowly checking themselves out.

Respected Contributor

Most of our grocery stores have self checkout or scan bag and go.

Our Safeway had self checkout, then removed them but had to bring them back after two years of nonstop complaints and a loss of sales.

Our Home Depot is all self checkout except in the garden department. 
It's a pain to shop there because the self checkout lanes are located at the far end of the store.

Valued Contributor

The two grocery stores I primarily shop both have the same issue with self checkout---the machine/computer cannot recognize when you are buying a 12 pack of soda or a large box of cat litter. It will keep telling you to place the item in the bag, and of course that item won't fit in the bag. 

I've tried moving the bag and just placing the item where the bag was; doesn't work. I've asked clerks before I attempt if it is a secret to checking out with something that won't fit in the bags and they all say no and just to call them if I get stuck. 

I always get stuck. 

They have to come over and reset it to get me past the place item in bag screen.

After several attempts I've finally stopped using it if every item I am buying won't fit inside the bag. 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

I may be in the minority, but I don't like self checkout.

Respected Contributor

@SunSprite wrote:

The two grocery stores I primarily shop both have the same issue with self checkout---the machine/computer cannot recognize when you are buying a 12 pack of soda or a large box of cat litter. It will keep telling you to place the item in the bag, and of course that item won't fit in the bag. 

I've tried moving the bag and just placing the item where the bag was; doesn't work. I've asked clerks before I attempt if it is a secret to checking out with something that won't fit in the bags and they all say no and just to call them if I get stuck. 

I always get stuck. 

They have to come over and reset it to get me past the place item in bag screen.

After several attempts I've finally stopped using it if every item I am buying won't fit inside the bag. 

@SunSprite if you go through there with a big item again, try just setting the item down among the bags. Evidently, there is a timing feature between the amount of time the item is scanned and the bench with the bags picks up the weight. You can set the item right on the bench without putting it into a bag. If you redistribute the weight by moving your bags around and delay putting the recently scanned item on the bench it is probably "messing" up the calculations of weight on the bench. That may very well be what is causing it to pause and requires a reset.

So once you scan the kittie litter, just plop the bag right over on the bench among the bags.  See if that doesn't help.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

I did a self check out yesterday at ShopRite.  It was so crowded.  Snowstorm today so I was there with everyone else.   

I like the self check out.  I had a big pack of toilet tissue and the machine gave the option of "skip bagging this item" so it did go smoothly.   I am fine with the no cash machines.  They take any kind of card payment.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I may be in the minority, but I don't like self checkout.

You aren't alone.  I don't care for them either.   Even if I have to wait in a longer line I will wait for a checker.  I just like the personal touch of dealing with a live person. 

I also don't care for the way these self checkout seem to be eliminating so many jobs.  At our local Walmart there are more self checkouts than there are manned registers.  

Valued Contributor

@pitdakota I will give it a try! They don't have a bench-bench, just a metal space next to the bag holder space, but I would imagine it does the same thing you mentioned. 

Thanks for taking the time to suggest that Smiley Happy

There's only ever one or two clerks when I shop (it's early morning) and I'd much rather not wait in the long line if I can get in and out myself!

(once a month I buy a large amount of groceries and never use the self checkout for that shopping trip)

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Respected Contributor

No problem @SunSprite!  This was actually explained to me by an engineer that teaches at our local school of engineering.

Every item that is scanned not only has the product identification info and price, it is also has a weight assigned.  So it is the weight from the bench, counter or the designated  space where the bags are that the computer is picking up.  Then there is a default amount of time the computer allows between the time you scan and the computer picking up the weight on the table in the bagging area.  

He did say there are a few things that have default estimated minimum weights, for example if you buy just one apple or garlic.  But everything has a weight assigned to it for the computer to be able to tell if it is placed in the bagging area or not.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *