Esteemed Contributor

Improvement to Grocery Self Checkout

[ Edited ]

I avoid the self checkout but today I used it (in a rush) and I was happy to see they expanded the bag area.  You can now have double the bags ready to go before putting them in your cart.  I may just use it again, since I usually have over 20 items.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Improvement to Grocery Self Checkout

We use it all the time in Walmart and in Wegmans. 

Honored Contributor

and it's not constantly talking on the cell phone to its friends while you are trying to get its attention.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbellemy store had this tiny little area that fit two bags if you were lucky.  This new design is so much better.

Trusted Contributor

The self checkout in my local chain supermarket does not accept cash or debit cards. Only credit cards!! I think that's ridiculous and inconvenient and if I were looking for an improvement, I'd start with allowing me a choice of how to pay. I have to go to a line with a cashier if I want to pay cash or use a debit card. 

I really don't want to put $1.29 on my credit card for, say, a quart of milk, if that's all I purchased. A lot of those kind of quick purchases would make verifying the credit card bill very tedious.  I do go to the 10-item-or-less cashier for a quicker checkout, but I'd use the machine if it accepted cash. 

Bagging inadequacies are the least of my objections to self checkout where I shop. 

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

and it's not constantly talking on the cell phone to its friends while you are trying to get its attention.

Usually the person you're waiting to finish so you can have your turn is...

Honored Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

The self checkout in my local chain supermarket does not accept cash or debit cards. Only credit cards!! I think that's ridiculous and inconvenient and if I were looking for an improvement, I'd start with allowing me a choice of how to pay. I have to go to a line with a cashier if I want to pay cash or use a debit card. 

I really don't want to put $1.29 on my credit card for, say, a quart of milk, if that's all I purchased. A lot of those kind of quick purchases would make verifying the credit card bill very tedious.  I do go to the 10-item-or-less cashier for a quicker checkout, but I'd use the machine if it accepted cash. 

Bagging inadequacies are the least of my objections to self checkout where I shop. 

@gizmogal The Staples copy center has done away with the pre-paid cards used in the copy machines and now only accept credit cards!  There is no other option available - so you now have to use your credit card for 24¢.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I haven’t been able to come up with any reason I’d want to use the self checkout at WalMart. My grocery store doesn’t have self checkout and, with their great CS, I don’t think they ever will.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Only place in town that has self-checkout is Wal-Mart. When I go inside that's what I use. I can sack my groceries how I want plus I can checkout a lot faster. Don't normally have to stand in line to use one because most people around here are too lazy to use it.

Honored Contributor

@NonametodayHaven't seen that among any cashiers where I shop -  but I've seen it way too often by customers, some rudely talking to both the cashier and the VIP{ they just couldn't hand up on  (as if!) and worst of all, women ahead of me slowing down the self-checkout line for the same reason.  

If I didn't suspect the person who'd do that would also be quite willing to taker a swing at me, I'd complain aloud exactly what I think of her.  (Sorry, folks, I've never encounyered a man doing the same at checkout.  That, too, would irritate me.)