Respected Contributor

Important Warning: Women are being targeted by SLIDERS

Don't be a victim!  This is going on nation-wide.  Please watch this ABC News video as an explanation how women are getting robbed before they know it.  To paraphrase a popular TV commercial, "What's in your purse?"   

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Re: Important Warning: Women are being targeted by SLIDERS

Another reason why I wear a crossbody bag...it stays on my body at all times.

Valued Contributor

I'm too paranoid so I always grab my keys and lock my doors while I pump the gas. I first heard of this crime sometime back so I was already aware of it but even before that, I always locked my vehicle, even when I'm right there.  I don't trust anyone.

Esteemed Contributor

Even before I heard of the term "sliders", I always lock my car, even when I am right there pumping the gas, and I am always looking around as I do.

To me, it's just common sense to do that.

Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

Don't be a victim!  This is going on nation-wide.  Please watch this ABC News video as an explanation how women are getting robbed before they know it.  To paraphrase a popular TV commercial, "What's in your purse?"   

Thank you ver much for the video!  I wear a crossbody bag, and its

always worn on my shoulder or crossbody.  There are so many women that leave their purses unattended while shopping, especially when grocery shopping.  I usually mention to them not to leave their purse unattended.  Last Christmas season while at Costco, I left my purse on the bench seat after I finished eating.  Got home, parked and went to grab my bag which wasn't there.  I

called Costco immediately, security had my purse, someone handed it in, and I was certainly fortunate.  I know who it was, two young men who sat next to me who I was having a conversation with.  Nothing taken or used (CC's).  But, as a precaution, I did call my banks and canceled my credit and debit cards.  Better safe than sorry😉

Esteemed Contributor

another thing to be careful of is sticking your purse in the trunk while you load your groceries in there.  Theives are fast!

Honored Contributor

When my husband has to leave to car, he always tells me to lock the doors

Respected Contributor

That crime is old news, but it's always good to remind everyone. Like another poster, I always keep my keys and bag on me. If it is coat season, the bag is under my coat. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you for your post and video....   I spent a lot of years going all over So. Ca and ALWAYS locked my doors, kept my keys in my pocket when I pumped gas.  I'm glad to see this dirty trick get recognition.  

Another trick are smash and grabs.... where you'll be at a stop light and someone comes up and crow bars your window to grab your purse.  Never put it on the passenger seat or on the passenger side floor.  Always put it to the left of your leg by your door, pushed back to the seat.  It doesn't interfere with your driving and no one can see it from the windows

I live in an area now where people are very trusting, leave cars unlocked (sometimes running while they run into WalMart during winter)....  doors unlocked, think the best of people most of the time and deal business honestly and with a handshake....  I love it.... but I still lock my car and house!  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

I don't think the solution is wear cross body...lol   I think the solution is keep the passenger door locked.  Which I always do and always have.  From childhood, I remember my  dad saying "lock those doors".  So it has always been automatic with me.  My passenger gets out, I lock that door.   To be honest, I thought everyone did that.  Everyone I know does it, especially in parking lots and garages.  So, yeah....keep your doors locked.  Even still, I do not keep my bag on the seat next to me.  I always put it on the floor.  I guess I was never a risk taker, I never just assumed that bad things only happen to other people.   I have always been a "what if" type of person.