Honored Contributor

Re: Important Question About Social Security & Credit Freeze

@JudyL wrote:

@NicksmomESQ I had that problem when I set up my Social Security Account.  I had to go and remove the credit alerts, open the SS account, then have the credit alerts reinstated.

This is what I did.  I did it through the equifax site.  You need to type in the id number equifax gave you when you froze your credit.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

You are comparing apples to avocados here.  SSA is not linked to your credit and vice versa.  There is no relationship.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

You are comparing apples to avocados here.  SSA is not linked to your credit and vice versa.  There is no relationship.

I didn't think so either until I read some of the information posted above.

Valued Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Both credit and ss are linked to our ss number, you use a credit freeze to keep someone else from opening credit or collecting ss using your number.  You get a pin number when you place the freeze, it allows you to temporarily lift the freeze.  In the case described by the op the freeze failed to protect as is should.

libby's folly
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone for your responses. I just set up my account & I'm not collecting yet. Apparently, my credit freeze through the  3 bureaus didn't lock me out either .🤷‍♀️

@Growing  Maybe you're right that now since they send you a code that you have to insert for access it's safer.I'm not sure.I do know that I can't open any new credit lines unless I lift the freeze.

I'm baffled.The freeze has been in place for 3 years.

Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Thanks everyone for your responses. I just set up my account & I'm not collecting yet. Apparently, my credit freeze through the  3 bureaus didn't lock me out either .🤷‍♀️

@Growing  Maybe you're right that now since they send you a code that you have to insert for access it's safer.I'm not sure.I do know that I can't open any new credit lines unless I lift the freeze.

I'm baffled.The freeze has been in place for 3 years.

You have to opt in to receive text messages. SSA was going to make it mandatory at one point, but I imagine they got a lot of pushback at the time, and walked it back. I thought it was outrageous; I didn't have a smartphone then and didn't think they should do something that would mean some people couldn't access their accounts, and that cost the person wh could on top of it. Not right. I've never opted in and I can get into my account just fine. Never had a breach that I know of.

If you go the text message route, you might want to read this:

https://blog.ssa.gov/inspector-general-warns-public-about-widespread-social-security-scam-texts/

Esteemed Contributor

@persiflage wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Both credit and ss are linked to our ss number, you use a credit freeze to keep someone else from opening credit or collecting ss using your number.  You get a pin number when you place the freeze, it allows you to temporarily lift the freeze.  In the case described by the op the freeze failed to protect as is should.

@persiflage  Exactly.The freeze didn't work the way it was supposed to.

Respected Contributor

You might want to go on line and make sure your credit freezes are still active.  I've been unable to re-establish my on-line Social Security Account for several years because of credit freezes.  I've also been unable to re-establish my on-line account for my pension.  I was told the credit freezes were the problem.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

You might want to go on line and make sure your credit freezes are still active.  I've been unable to re-establish my on-line Social Security Account for several years because of credit freezes.  I've also been unable to re-establish my on-line account for my pension.  I was told the credit freezes were the problem.

@Cats3000  I just checked & all 3 of my credit freezes are still active.I called a friend & asked her if she was able to set up an account . I know she too has a freeze on her credit. She said that she did it a few months ago with no issues.

Apparently, some people with credit freezes are able to set up accounts & some aren't.Can't imagine why?

Honored Contributor

Sorry if this has been mentioned but it's from SS website..

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/create.html

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee