Esteemed Contributor

Imagine if cars did "social distancing!"

I know that stoplights and stop signs would make it impossible, but it occurred to me today how nice it'd be if we adopted some kind of rule where we decided to keep our cars 15-20' from each other while driving! Can you imagine how many fender benders and even car wrecks would be avoided! ....

Honored Contributor

Re: Imagine if cars did "social distancing!"

I remember being taught that there is supposed to be "1 car-length" between vehicles in my high-school drivers' education class. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I think I recall that there was to be 1 car length for every 10 mph - so say if you were driving 60mph, you were supposed to be 6 car lengths behind in order to have time to react and stop your vehicle.  Of course, how its supposed to be and how it actually is are two different things.  I can't stand tailgaters and I'm not a slow poke.

When I moved to where I live now, one of the first thing I noticed about the drivers was how much they liked to tailgate.  They are more patient than up North and not as rude, but boy do they like to get right up on your bumper. 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I actually notice myself doing that now when I'm out driving.  Force of habit!

Honored Contributor

I read about a drive-in theater that's been allowed to stay open and it's parking cars in every other space.