Honored Contributor

Re: Imagine coming across this guy?

Ever seen the movie The Revenant starring Leonardo DiCaprio? faint.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Hippo's are some cranky, territorial characters. It amazes me that being so massive in size (thousands of pounds), that they can run 30 mph. The grizzly, tops out at 35 mph. They both also have great stamina. Uh, better than ours.

You'd think if we had to share the universe with these creatures, that humans would have been created to run, at least equal to, or faster.  A little fairness in design would have been nice. I mean, c'mon, there's a need for speed, not weapons :-). 

Esteemed Contributor

I think I have @Mz iMac .  Title sounds familiar.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

Hungry, hungry hippo.  I have never seen one up close.  In all my years of going to the Bronx Zoo in NY, I have never seen one.  The Zoo is one of my favorite things to do.  

Can't lock them down, can you?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

https://bronxzoo.com/shop/wild-encounters/virtual-meet-and-greet

Check this website for virtual meet and greet with animals.  It's so cute.  I just went to the Bronx Zoo's web page and they let you visit virtually.  A Penguin will greet you, then a sloth....too cute; a porcupine, and baby foxes.

Of course it's not free, but it is interesting.  They must have instituted this since Covid....

This year is  starts back up in September.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset  @BlueFinch Hippos are officially the most dangerous land animal in the world.  Why?  Hippos average 500 human fatalities a year.  People have to go to the rivers.  While not dragging people to their deaths, they upset boats and kill those that operate them.  So hippos get very busy.  Hard to believe a herbivore can be dangerous.  But they are. They are also the closest land animal relative to Orcas!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Ever seen the movie The Revenant starring Leonardo DiCaprio? faint.gif

I did see it when it came out.  That was a bloody bloody scene among many in the movie.  Not usually my kind of movie but I'm in love with Leo.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

I have respect for all animals.  Usually leave them be and they'll let you be.  Except those yellowjackets.  They come after you viciously for no reason.  My husband was stung and bitten by a hoard of them 24 times.  He went to the hospital and was ok.  Thank God he's not allergic. They bite and sting.  I saw one land on a piece of chicken at a picnic, chew off a chunk and fly off with it.  Scary.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

I have respect for all animals.  Usually leave them be and they'll let you be.  Except those yellowjackets.  They come after you viciously for no reason.  My husband was stung and bitten by a hoard of them 24 times.  He went to the hospital and was ok.  Thank God he's not allergic. They bite and sting.  I saw one land on a piece of chicken at a picnic, chew off a chunk and fly off with it.  Scary.

They have to go.  I can't deal with those yellow jackets.  Mosquitoes.  The other insects, I can manage.  Ones that bite me makes me angry @MoJoV .  LOL.

The Bee Removers - Bee Removal - Wasp Removal - Hive Removal - Types of ...

Honored Contributor

@songbird   While on a river cruise in Zimbabwe a few years ago I was taking pics of the river wild life.   Look who came mozy on by......

100_0580.JPG

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif