Honored Contributor

Re: Imagine being without electricity...

We had no power for over 2 weeks once. You don't realize how much you use until it's gone. I feel for those that don't have it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We were without power for 13 days after Fran.  We have our own well & so also without water to flush, or drink, or clean. It was disgusting not being able to clean, but considering the 60 huge trees down on our land, the 3 tornadoes that took them down, we were lucky.

Both able to get to work after neighbors helped us chainsaw out of our drive.  Both worked in hospital settings, so able to do laundry, shower, and each brought home five gallons of water each night.  Wheee!

Oddly enough, our home, cars, and ALL our furry babies were safe.  That everyone was safe was enough.

Built a new home in 2000, totally wired for generator which has it's own bunker!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

In 2005 I think the last northeast blackout we were without power 30 hours. I lost everything in my fridge and freezer. 

At that point we lived about 30 miles from my folks, they had gotten their power back during the night, so we "visited" them for dinner, while we were there we got a call from a neighbor that the power was on.

I came home to empty my fridge and freezer, and we spent the next to days away and then filled the fridge again.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I often wonder what people do who depend on 24/7 oxygen from a concentrator.  They can use the bottled oxygen but a tank only lasts about 4 hours.  You'd have to have a huge supply on hand and most people don't.  Oxygen suppliers aren't even willing to deliver a huge supply.  I think I'd be out looking for a electric company employee if I was in that situation. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Longest I have been without power was 10 days.  I did have water.

I was able to cook (grill) the food slowly out of freezer, up until it was not cold.  So that was a few days.  But still lost most of it.

I did get used to cold showers.

Oddly my sleep pattern changed and I went to bed at dark.

I have been without water and that was actually worse.

I can’t imagine being without both.

My mountain house has a generator.  Very secure feeling when I am there in a storm.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

I have electricity again!!  Smiley Very Happy  

Only a three hour outage but I still had to light my stove with a match to cook dinner.  Thank goodness I watched Little House as a kid.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kitcat51 wrote:

Been without power for over 3 weeks & we have a well so no water either, this happened in winter after an ice storm. My husband stayed near work 50 miles away & I stayed home by myself to watch the pipes in case they froze & burst so I could call a plumber for help. No heat, power or water...you just learn to make-do. I did have a gas stove to warm up bottled water to wash with & make a hot meal, you quickly become grateful for little things & the gas stove top was number 1 on that list. I wore so many layers of clothes trying to stay warm I could barely move my arms, funny to think about now but not then. Power outages are often in my neck of the woods so a few years after my husband passed away I had a generator installed. My state sent 200 lineworkers & 100 tree trimmers to help FL get the power back up. Hope everyone stays safe & life for all effected gets back to normal soon.

Thanks everyone for your responses! I have read them all. A few of you reminded me of my memories from Hurricane Gloria in 1985. I lived in my hometown of Branford CT at the time (along Long Island Sound) and we were without power for 5 days. Even back then it felt like forever.

One of the 1st things the power company did was turn on electricity for the Durham fairgrounds so at least folks could do something enjoyable to pass the time, get hot food and forget about problems/worries for a short period of time and have fun.

I already had plans to enter items like I did for years. That year of coarse I couldn't enter my baking, but still entered my counted cross stitch work and crochet pieces. I still have the thank you note sent to me after the fair was over from the Durham fairgrounds committee for helping/entering under the circumstances which everyone received with their ribbons. A bright spot under terrible conditions Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Lost power several years ago during a terrible ice storm.  I didn't know when the power would come back on.  It was widespread.  It was very cold.  I left my house after 4 days and moved me and my pets into my office which did have power.

i felt fortunate to have somewhere to go where I wasn't in danger of freezing to death.  

And my cat Frankie entertained me by hitting the button on the FAX machine when it would ring.

Cat LOL

Eight days later the power came back on.  

Respected Contributor

This was our experience during hurricane Ike. It took 10 days to get it back. Luckily we had an Rv which we parked in our driveway and hooked it up to the generator. We had microwave, directv, oven  and ac all because of that Rv and generator. If not for that we would have been miserable. Funny thing is the neighbors across the street all had power back within a day. 

Honored Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

Being without power is inconveient, but nothing like being flooded or losing everything.  May all those affected by recent hurricanes and earthquakes feel the support of those who can only send donations and prayers.

I've been without power many times, for periods of 1-7 days.  You get though this.  It's a temporary inconvenience, and those of us who experience it, can usually go somewhere else within driving distance to get our power needs met.  

So I agree that this needs to be put into perspective, when compared with those who have suffered huge losses.