Respected Contributor

If your credit is frozen and you want to apply for credit???

I had someone try to apply for credit in my name a while back, so my credit is frozen for my protection.

Now I want to get a new phone with ATT and I know they check your credit.  It will be a new account.

How do I do that with my credit frozen?

Who do I call?  Or do I need to call anyone?

I did have to do a lot of security questions in order to freeze my credit.  Will they just ask me the security questions?

I have to drive an hour to ATT, so I sure don't want to go and have my credit locked up.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: If your credit is frozen and you want to apply for credit???

I don't know. Who contacted you to tell you that your credit was frozen? I might start there.

Respected Contributor

I got a letter from Sears (Citi bank I think) saying my application for credit was turned down.  When I called the phone number on the letter, they told me someone applied for credit in my name in Texas.  I live in KS and never applied for credit there.

So they turned me over to the fraud protection that their cc has.  They put a freeze on my credit.  They were going to freeze my credit with all three credit bureaus.  I hope I'm explaining this right, because I really don't understand how it all works.

@ ChynnaBlue, I think I'll call that number on the letter and ask about it.  I hope I can find the letter.  At the time they did all this, I didn't ask what to do when I WANTED credit again.  Duh!  Thanks!

Super Contributor

It could be Sears was only freezing their account.  If you can find your letter, its probably a good idea to call.  I would also get a copy of your credit report before you go to ATT to see what it says.  

Esteemed Contributor

I just had to unfreeze credit file with all 3 credit bureaus.  The process depends on which credit bureau you are trying to unfreeze your file with.  If I recall correctly two of the three credit bureaus had created a PIN number which had to be entered to unfreeze the files.  The third credit bureau had set up a series of security questions that had to be answered on line before the account could be unfrozen.  You need to log onto the individual credit bureaus web site and check look in the section under freezing credit files.  

Trusted Contributor

You have to "unfreeze" it with the credit bureaus. Call one and it will apply to all of them.

Esteemed Contributor

@mima wrote:

I got a letter from Sears (Citi bank I think) saying my application for credit was turned down.  When I called the phone number on the letter, they told me someone applied for credit in my name in Texas.  I live in KS and never applied for credit there.

So they turned me over to the fraud protection that their cc has.  They put a freeze on my credit.  They were going to freeze my credit with all three credit bureaus.  I hope I'm explaining this right, because I really don't understand how it all works.

@ ChynnaBlue, I think I'll call that number on the letter and ask about it.  I hope I can find the letter.  At the time they did all this, I didn't ask what to do when I WANTED credit again.  Duh!  Thanks!

@mima Please go to your local bank, and ask how to handle this situation.

Trusted Contributor

Hello

I did apply several weeks ago for a credir card here on QVC and I got an answer whithin few days stating that I have no credit.

About fifteen years ago, I had to go through brancrupty 7. I went through the court and I am clear of any dept.

I am  foreigner, I have not any credit card , I do not work and I am a lady of the house.

Can you please tell me, how can I receive/get a credit card since I am not working but my husband does? (he is retired US Air Force)

Dina

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Honored Contributor

Does it have to be ATT what about the phones from a place where you pay per call?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

The freeze is on your account.  You have to call the credit bureau and or the credit card company.  They will provide you with questions.  It is not a permanent forever freeze, it just stops your requests for credit until you answer the  correct questions. 

I put one on myself a few years back for safety when someone was buying airline tickets in my name.  

Now I have Lifelock... makes me happy.  Not sure if I am better protected... but as I just said  I am happy and feel more secure.