Honored Contributor

Re: If your children are grown, is there anything from their childhood

@ECBG wrote:

I kept up detailed, I mean detailed baby books.  I would write words and phrases with the date and age on sticky notes and put them in the books.  Of course every party was described with pictures and plates cut to lie flat.

Later I added report cards and classwork showing their writting.

I also kept the outfits I had their one year old portrait made in, and hand made toys and matchbox cars.

When the boys were older teenagers, they loved to get these books and see what they had said at different ages, especially the "baby" phrases.  They had barrels of laughs!

They want me to keep them "safe" and get them down to show their children when they get a little older.

I have mine too that my mother kept!

Sadly, my DIL's don't keep baby books.

@ECBG

Isn't it sad that no one keeps baby books anymore? My mom did one for me, but it doesn't have much in it at all. I did one for my son, and it is so full it hardly shuts. I entered all the things you mentioned, and even the character bandaids from his vaccinations are in there too!

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty

You get bragging rights on that granddaughter! How cool she is on her way in the entertainment industry, and I'm going to head over and watch the commercial!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I kept up detailed, I mean detailed baby books.  I would write words and phrases with the date and age on sticky notes and put them in the books.  Of course every party was described with pictures and plates cut to lie flat.

I also kept the outfits I had their one year old portrait made in, and hand made toys and matchbox cars.

When the boys were older teenagers, they loved to get these books and see what they had said at different ages, especially the "baby" phrases.  They had barrels of laughs!

They want me to keep them "safe" and get them down to show their children when they get a little older.

@ECBG

Isn't it sad that no one keeps baby books anymore? My mom did one for me, but it doesn't have much in it at all. I did one for my son, and it is so full it hardly shuts. I entered all the things you mentioned, and even the character bandaids from his vaccinations are in there too!

@MominohioKnow what you mean!  No way are these ever closing!

Honored Contributor

@DoneTryin wrote:

I am wistful as I read through these.  I had to give my daughter up for adoption when she was born in 1967.  She found me 1 1/2 years ago & gave me a few photos of herself at different ages.  I still have trouble looking at her infant photos, though.  She was being baptised around the time I turned 20.

I'm not seeking sympathy here, but I do want to say that all those "things" you're hanging on to don't mean much in my eyes.  You got the most important thing, the thing that I didn't get.  You got to watch your child grow up, learn to talk & walk, spent time with them.  You will always have those cherished memories.

@DoneTryin

A thread like this is probably a little painful for you, and I'm sorry that it is.

Of course we don't know your circumstances, but giving a child up for adoption is one of the very most selfless things you can do, even when you don't want to. I honor you, no matter the circumstances, and I hope that at least now, you and she are able to have some kind of relationship that gives you joy and some peace.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@ECBG

@MominohioKnow what you mean!  No way are these ever closing!

shoekitty said

Mfirst children were identical twin girls.  I did books on them.. Even hair clippings.  I have their ID bands from hospital Baby A Baby B.  all vacination records.  But everything stops at 2 it seems.  They fell apart, scotch tape came unglued.  my single birth daughter is the same.  I wish I had done them well.

Esteemed Contributor

I never had a baby book. I did save all the negatives and had them developed and put them in a photo album and gave it to him when he left to go to his home.

Oh  I  just remembered I have a hot pad he made in kindergarten.