Honored Contributor

If your children are grown, is there anything from their childhood

that you just can't bear to part with?

My son will be 20 soon. He is in between being a child and having his own. Over the years, I saved a lot of his things, as many mothers do. For me, it seems that the older he gets, the more of his childhood things I am willing to part with. 

But there are a few categories that I still can't part with. 

His books (even though I have donated many over the years, there are hundreds)

His 'cars' like hot wheels and matchbox type

His special stuffed animals

Some school work like journals (love to read what he wrote at various stages of his childhood)

I have saved these things because I am anticipating he will have children someday, and he has said he wants to have them. They bring back such wonderful memories and if necessary, I'd gladly give up any number of other things to save space to have these items.

Some people save baby clothes, blankets, school work or any other of a number of memories from their children's early years.

Do you have anything from the childhood of your sons or daughters that you just can't bear to part with? Or do you have things your parents saved for you? (I still have all my grade cards that my mom saved for me, as well as those of my dad, and my grandma and grandpa)

Valued Contributor

Re: If your children are grown, is there anything from their childhood

I have saved several things.  First of all I saved all his baby furniture, crib, changing table, high chair and bureau.  When they were expecting and planning to purchase baby furniture I told them I would like them to have his baby furniture.  Don't know if they were enthused but in the end I took it all out and refinished.  It looked great (we updated crib to comply with new specs) and they were pleased in the end.  I have been sending many things to their house but now I actually pull out items for the kids to play with here.  Duplos, legos, games, stuffed animals etc.  If they don't use it now it is donated.  The kids do enjoy playing with dad's stuff so I'm glad I saved it.

Esteemed Contributor

My DD is in her twenties and recently I found a whole container of baby clothes that I forgot I saved.  I washed them and gave them to a friend.  I have two special pieces of artwork  framed that used to be on my desk now they sit on my dresser.  I have a handmade quilt  that a relative made and her christening outfit.  Also, have a book I made of her pre k and kindergarten artwork.  There were two stuffed animals she loved and are pristine a "Little Bear and a large Poohbear".  Some books I gave away but the special ones I kept, like you I had so many.  There is one game we used to play that you cannot purchase anymore and I also held on to it.  I have her first ballet shoes which I'm bronzing for her along with her first unitard.

Honored Contributor

I have some special baby clothes, the crib quilt I sewed and some of the childhood books. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I saved their coming home from the hospital outfit, their first Christmas dresses, their baptismal gowns, first shoes - and other assorted clothes and outfits that were very cute or special gifts.

I have all of their artwork saved, every card they ever made me, random items that they wrote just because it was cute. I have a few toys saved - not many. Those were given away mostly

I have their baby rocking chairs with their names written on them. I have their baby blankets saved. My oldest had a doggie and my youngest has an Elly. They still sleep with them on their beds. Lol.

I actually have every greeting card anyone has ever given me. I have my shower and wedding cards saved in an album. It's nice to look back at those things.
Honored Contributor

When I was transferred to another city by my employer..........my mother held a garage sale and sold all my possessions (including clothes and jewelry I had left behind until I found a place to live)............for 5¢ apiece.      Found out from a relative..................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

The only things I saved are in my cedar chest; special outfits, and crocheted/quilted items made by their great grandmothers.   My daughters have always kept up with the special toys they want to keep.  Oldest daughter has all of her original Strawberry Shortcake dolls and Barbie dolls.   Youngest daughter has all of her My Little Ponies and Rainbow Brite dolls.   I haven't seen any of that stuff for at least 20 years.   

Respected Contributor

How sad, and what a thoughtless thing to do, sorry:/

Honored Contributor

When my oldest daughter had the baby shower for her first baby, I gave the hostess 5 dresses (along with pictures of her wearing each dress from 1 month on up).  She put them out for everyone to see.

That's my favorite thing I've saved of each one of my daughters.  I still have my youngest (age almost 36) who's not married and has no children.  

I've saved some things from each daughter.  Each daughter is very different in personality.  My oldest daughter didn't want any of her baby things when she got married, whereas my middle daughter cherished every single thing (you name it).  The youngest is kind of in the middle.

I'm in the process of 'downsizing from a large house we raised our girl in' to a one level for just myself and my cats.  Soooo.....all of 50 years of photo albums, DVDs. VHS tapes, you name it, will go back to them.  I told them to hold on to their hats because my late husband has up in our attic every stuffed animal they owned, every toy (we had a large toy room), everything and it's all up there.  They have no idea.  Just wait!  Ha!  This is going to be interesting.

They're like, "Mom, don't you want them"?  I'm like, "No, I know what you guys look like and I won't have room".  

Stay tuned!

Respected Contributor

When we moved down here from central NY, I organized childhood momentoes for each of our 4 kids and gave them to them. I kept most photos for myself, but DH is scanning them to organize and let them have copies. Such memories.