Esteemed Contributor

Re: If your children are grown, is there anything from their childhood

@Mominohio wrote:

@Irshgrl31201

My son had a lot of stuffed animals (only a few beanies) and the ones that are left are in beautiful shape, and were expensive. For a boy, he really liked stuffed animals and was rather attached to them. Much like you, The ones we have saved tell a story about who gave it and what holiday. Many had names, and we still remember them. 

Those and his books are MY favorite of his childhood things, because we spent many many hours snuggled up with stuffed animals and books, reading. Best memories of his growing up years for me are my kid and me with books, blankets, and stuffies all around hearing the stories too!

Yep! I feel the exact same way girl! Exactly the same! My grandson is REALLY into stuffed animals and he has 3 that are his absolute favorite that he won't go anywhere without or sleep without. He is probably more into books than my daughter was and if you would do it, she would sit there for HOURS being read to. I just watched him the whole day today. I have books that I bought for him to have over here when he stays over. I read to him for a good part of the day. I have a pool and it was hot out and we did go swimming but while we were in the pool he said "Cuggles and read to me GG" which means lets snuggle up with my stuffed animals and read books. He has a whole ritual with being read to. He gets his favorite blanket puts it on the couch, gets his 3 fav stuffed animals and gets all comfortable and even has a side of the couch he prefers to lay on. lol! It is too much. I couldn't believe he wanted to get out of the pool to read, but I loved it!! Oh, I just love it so much!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

Yes I have saved many things, all of which they show no interest. I have scanned some artwork  and photos and sent them to each so that they may have a little something. I too have kept some handknit items. I thought that I may have grands from all of them by now, so I kept some small toys and such ... only one grandchild with no interest in any of that. I too kept many books and only grand not a reader. Oldest child would like me to keep those in case some day he has kids, but that not lookig hopeful so I have begun slowly getting rid of them.

Memories , when all is said and done, are not kept in the objects but in my head, and I'm thinking that I must give up the physical representations because they will not take me back there. I can only look back through my rose colored glasses in my mind. And I could use the  tranquility of less clutter. Both in my house and in my head. Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

My MIL kept everything of her kids life (teeth, every book, card, toy) and when this year she fell and had to go directly to a skilled care facility it was a struggle for all of us cleaning out the years of hoarding useless items and clutter. Most of her children were not interested in any of it. I saw so much going to donation or trash it felt alittle sad. I was alittle jealous having been an orphan who never had parents who did such for me hence no childhood memories have come my way. I would say I loved reading the posts of the love and cherished items. As I am downsizing have gotten rid of alot of "the past" and have some little things DH saved from the move. I admire his sentimental side.

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

When I was transferred to another city by my employer..........my mother held a garage sale and sold all my possessions (including clothes and jewelry I had left behind until I found a place to live)............for 5¢ apiece.      Found out from a relative..................

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. Heart That is really cold hearted. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I kept up detailed, I mean detailed baby books.  I would write words and phrases with the date and age on sticky notes and put them in the books.  Of course every party was described with pictures and plates cut to lie flat.

Later I added report cards and classwork showing their writting.

I also kept the outfits I had their one year old portrait made in, and hand made toys and matchbox cars.

When the boys were older teenagers, they loved to get these books and see what they had said at different ages, especially the "baby" phrases.  They had barrels of laughs!

They want me to keep them "safe" and get them down to show their children when they get a little older.

I have mine too that my mother kept!

Sadly, my DIL's don't keep baby books.

Honored Contributor

I had 2 careers, the last being a Museum coordinator.  That might give you a little hint at where my mind goes, lol!  I am awful, I see many things as future artifacts, hahahahha. But back in the day I just saved a few things.  My daughters I just saved a Bert and Ernie puppet from 1970.  And as they grew we put away Barbies, Barbies dream house c. 1976.  Then Cher's dressing room.  I saved a one of those FP toys , a puppy that beat a drum when he was pulled.  9 years ago I gave all the stuff to them and said  SELL  (I donated good barbies and an outfit to museum. My daughters kept the stuff like new.  When they were 13 we spent the day, wiping and taking house and wardrobe apart and packed it away in original box.  That Barbie dream house fetched her 352.50 on ebay, and the Cher wardrobe was 190 because the Cher doll was gone.

My first granddaughter I saved all her stuff, blankie, first shoes, dolls, etc I also saved every program, announcement fro her theater days (from age 7)  She is 27 now and in the movie business. I am always going to take those stubs from plays, the programs and news clippings and scrapbook it....but alas, it sits in an acid free box. She just finished her first national commercial for Honda.  Yes, she is the "square head" lady with the dog, who I might add made as much as she did!!!  I am bragging now, but if you go to youtube and cue in Honda civic coupe 2016 square commercial she is the blond at beginning, then walking the dog near end

I saved all my grandkids first shoes which I salvaged from their parents garage sales (can you believe that?) and a special hat and all the special cards and drawings they made me.  I love those kids.

My husbands mother saved my husband's  Fort Apache set, his army men, clue game (1956) and some great steel die cast dump trucks.  Also several very valuable toys.  They didn't have much, but they took care of their stuff like new,  Everything has original packaging, and is complete.  He is now 69, I think in a few years we will donate to museum.  They are excellent examples of 1950's life

Anyone who has items in good condition that are examples of life in a certain era, or specific to your area. ,Ephemera, kitchen, household, furniture are usually welcome.  Ixnay on typewriters though, lol! Consider donating to a museum.  They will tell you if they cannot accession them.  You can be guaranteed your items will be kept forever.

Trusted Contributor

Wow I can tell you appreciate the value in vintage pieces shoekitty. My husband just sold his circa 1960's GI Joe foot locker and GI Joe for over 100 bucks on E-Bay. There are collectors out there and a market for vintage items. Those kept in pristine condition fetch some much needed cash. Those tin toys and items featured on American Pickers have commanded buyers. Is nice you donated some things to a museum....some of them feature life in 50's etc. I wish I had my original Barbie LOL

Trusted Contributor

Pretty much everything.Well, not everything. Can't bear to part with special baby clothes,art work,Batman and other favorite toys.We only have one child and he's very grateful that we've saved these things. Our attic is full!

I remember going off to college and my mother had a yard sale in which she sold everything I grew up with including my baseball cards from the '50'. The next door neighbor bought them along with my Mickey Mantle rookie card from 1952. I think that's why I've saved things that were really important to my son.  

Respected Contributor

I am wistful as I read through these.  I had to give my daughter up for adoption when she was born in 1967.  She found me 1 1/2 years ago & gave me a few photos of herself at different ages.  I still have trouble looking at her infant photos, though.  She was being baptised around the time I turned 20.

I'm not seeking sympathy here, but I do want to say that all those "things" you're hanging on to don't mean much in my eyes.  You got the most important thing, the thing that I didn't get.  You got to watch your child grow up, learn to talk & walk, spent time with them.  You will always have those cherished memories.

Esteemed Contributor

No, no children by choice.  My late MIL saved some baby clothes from ......??? She passed away and now they are just stuff to get rid of.  As they were put away where she didn't see them much, I have to wonder why she saved them at all. 

Here's the hum dinger - her grown children - all in their 60's, were big disappointments to her.  She would tell ayone and everyone.  So why save things that she owned from her children that she thought were zeros?   They actually aren't - they just went on to live THERE OWN LIVES as they saw fit without her approval.  Makes no sense. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust