Respected Contributor

Re: If your adult children are looking for a job Amazon is paying ordinary people to deliver package

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Great info for those in those areas!

Kudos to you for posting this info!

Smiley MSN Emoticon heart 024.gif

Thanks and as the holidays approach I'm sure a lot of people will be interested.  

Respected Contributor

Re: If your adult children are looking for a job Amazon is paying ordinary people to deliver package

As I see it, it's a job not a career.  To address the issue of expecting benefits, I'd say they come at the end of the week in the form of a paycheck.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

The delivery service OP referenced has nothing to do with being an employee of amazon.

It is an independent contractor position.  There are no quotas.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

There aren't quotas but I'm sure amazon is going to set a rate of how many packages they want delivered in an hour. Maybe some people will make $25 an hour if they deliver 4 per hour while others only $18 if they deliver 3. Plus they have the expense of using their car.

Respected Contributor

18 to 25 an hr to deliver packages is a pretty good wage. A lot of people who do manual labor don't earn that. 

Honored Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

There aren't quotas but I'm sure amazon is going to set a rate of how many packages they want delivered in an hour. Maybe some people will make $25 an hour if they deliver 4 per hour while others only $18 if they deliver 3. Plus they have the expense of using their car.

If it's like Uber, then maybe someone could deliver one package per week.  Say it takes them 20 minutes.  They could make $6.  (Not that anyone would drive around for that amount.)

But the whole thing seems a lot more casual than quotas would imply.

We'll see.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

No matter how much the hourly wage is, that does not give the company the right to treat their employees like quap.

Honored Contributor

Thank you OP for posting this -

As long as applicants go in with eyes wide open - a job is a job

of course, one would like to work for a company with great pay and benefits.

Respected Contributor

When we were first married my husband was in college, he entered the Marine Corps afer high school, so he was a bit older than most college students.  Both he and I worked for minimum wage and NO benefits.  Sometimes, you just have to take whatever you can get.  We were happy with the relative pittance that our jobs brought in. 

Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

When we were first married my husband was in college, he entered the Marine Corps afer high school, so he was a bit older than most college students.  Both he and I worked for minimum wage and NO benefits.  Sometimes, you just have to take whatever you can get.  We were happy with the relative pittance that our jobs brought in. 

I hear you, but to be fair things are VERY different today.  A minimum wage job is no longer a living wage for anyone I know (besides a 16 year old that lives at home).