Super Contributor

and the members of this board were considered your "peers"..(which they are) Do you think you would get a fair trial?

I have been called for Jury duty over 10 times in my life, and I am always astounded at the cross section of people who surround me.

Super Contributor

and remember, jurors, during the trial, enjoy the same type of anonymity ( to the defendant certainly) that members enjoy here...

Valued Contributor

I think my chances would be much better here, considering the flawed justice system we have.

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Honored Contributor

I sincerely hope I will never be on trial. The people on this BB are a far cry from a cross section of America. There are hardly any men here. There are a disproportionate number of women who do not work - have never worked. When in reality the vast number of households in America both adults do work. And on this BB there are more retirees than in the entire state of Florida. OK that may be an exaggeration - but it's close.

Respected Contributor

Depends on the charges.*

If it was an emotional crime, I would most likely want a jury.*

If it was a "factual" crime, I would opt for a bench trial.*

* I cannot imagine I would be guilty of a crime that would necessitate a trial

Super Contributor
If behavior on this board is an indication, then no. Many here let their preconceived opinions and biases get in the way of assessing the facts. That accompanied with the tendency of some to gang up and pile on those with whom they do not agree would make me very worried if I had such a jury.
Super Contributor

I think juries of today are run by their emotions. I would prefer the judge make the decision.

Honored Contributor
On 8/16/2014 Complicated said:

Depends on the charges.*

Unfortunately, you can get sued or be in a car accident and end up on trial, even though you have not committed a crime. Sad but true.

Honored Contributor
On 8/16/2014 Chalcedony said: If behavior on this board is an indication, then no. Many here let their preconceived opinions and biases get in the way of assessing the facts. That accompanied with the tendency of some to gang up and pile on those with whom they do not agree would make me very worried if I had such a jury.

So very true. Just read the Tony Stewart thread and you will see it clearly. They tried him with out any facts and can't wait to lynch him. Actual facts mean very little to the women of this BB - they are all about emotions.

Respected Contributor
On 8/16/2014 happy housewife said:
On 8/16/2014 Complicated said:

Depends on the charges.*

Unfortunately, you can get sued or be in a car accident and end up on trial, even though you have not committed a crime. Sad but true.

I understand that.

But for things under my control, I would not commit a criminal offense that necessitated a criminal trial.

Not everything has to go to trial.

On a side note: I won my case that I represented myself, and I was suing my former attorney. That has nothing to do with this thread, but....it made me happy!