Honored Contributor

Re: If you were a member of the royal family, would you want this??????

[ Edited ]

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@comedy clubber   The day Princess Diana died was the last day I ever purchased any of those types of magazines.  Knowing that most of it wasn't true, it was still somewhat entertaining and sometimes they actually had the facts.  

However, I couldn't imagine paying money to support anyone that hounded and stalked another human being like they did to her, even if they choose to be a celebrity or married a royal, it just made me sick.

Such a salient point, and poignant, and I feel it's a reminder that these tabloids aren't completely harmless fun without their own insidious poison.   I can't and won't decide for others, but for myself I can't in good conscience support them.   Thanks for posting this, @CAcableGirl2.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@comedy clubber 

Personally, I find it hard to believe anyone actually thinks there's any chance any of that kwap might be even partially true. 

There's a method to their marketing madness ........  

That checkout line area is often called the Buyer's Remorse moments.   People look in their carts and wonder what have I done ......  or do I really need this stuff .....  you get the idea.   So, merchants have stocked shelves with all sorts of impulse items, candy and  cold drinks and sometimes ice cream.   

All the magazines must have crazy teasers & titles on gossip rags to catch your eyes.   One goal ......  distract ... distract .....  distract ....

The last thing they want is for us to remove anything from our carts before they ring us up.   This week the mags show the royals .....  next week it'll be the K-trash family or new developments about Natalie Wood's death  .... or Princess Diana.   

There's a sucker born every minute, and I doubt that will ever change.

Every now and then one of them gets the real scoop like with the National Enquirer exposing John Edwards and his mistress and 'love child'.   But that doesn't happen enough that anyone should spend a penny on those rags.

I agree, @Bridgegal.    They publish millions of tales and so few of them are accurate -- they have a dismal track record.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

BELIEVE NOTHING OF WHAT YOU HEAR

HALF OF WHAT YOU READ

AND SOME OF WHAT YOU SEE

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Tabloids sell, that's why they are in grocery stores and newstands.  There are people who actually believe this stuff; although, some of it might have an element of truth.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I don't buy them or read them. but you can't help but notice them when you are in line at the check-out.

They seem like a terrible waste of paper to me.

Honored Contributor

I don't buy them or read them either. 

I'm not a fan of sensational headlines or made up stories.  What really bugs me are the photoshopped photos of celebrities.  I think that's just so wrong...

Honored Contributor

if no one buys these stupid tabloids, they won't be there.....
Honored Contributor

Doesn’t matter if it’s royal family or celebrity....

no one needs the blatant lies & rumors.

But even in this small biosphere of QVC Forum, I see posters

give the Royals a pass (‘how dare they taunt the Royals’ bit)

but totally, 100% believe anything written about the

Kardashian/Jenner family...or any celebrity they personally

dislike...as written on Yahoo.news, popsugar, lifeandstylemag

or read at the grocery store checkout. 

Respected Contributor

I never buy the tabloids. They are made junk.
Respected Contributor

DH does our grocery shopping because he knows I have no patience for rude behavior, poorly stocked shelves, customers who refuse to move out of the way, etc.  

I can just about bet my life he has no idea what is on the front pages of magazines or other junk sold at check out stands. Additionally, he has no idea who these people are and why they are in the "news"!