Regular Contributor

If you were a member of the royal family, would you want this??????

I unfortunately went to the grocery store in Newton today and I could not believe the words I read  as I waited in a long check out lane.  William in tears about affair, Kate and Meghan ready to "duke" it out, Queen Elizabeth at her wits end.  I DON'T CARE to read this BS.  It is untrue twaddle and put on the stands to sell issues.  If the goofy people who love to read this garbage  fell off the face of the earth or just stopped buying it, wouldn't the world be a nicer place???

No, I don't want anyone to die, but enough is enough.  Such a waste of paper.  Would you like this to happen to your family, royal or not?  Just boycott these stupid gossip mongers.  Be nice.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: If you were a member of the royal family, would you want this??????

I'm not a follower of the Royals, but of course I don't like to see this junk written about anyone. But honestly, it's not just them that are written about, it's anyone who has an ounce of fame or notoriety. It's been going on for decades - just ignore it.

Respected Contributor

@comedy clubber   Amen to that.  Amazing the swill the tabloids try to sell as "the inside story";  they wouldn't know a real newsworthy "scoop" if it smacked them in the face.

Honored Contributor

I don't know about over there. But over here people get sued for written or verbal defamation of character. If someone is talking trash about me then they better have a lawyer.

Respected Contributor

I am able to stand in line and not look at the rags. Problem solved...

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

Those gossip papers/magazines are awful.  I used to have a friend who bought those publications.  I didn't want to hear about it.

My father had a saying ... "fools' names and fools' faces always appear in public places."  That stuff wasn't allowed in the house - and none of us paid much attention to it outside the house.  

Honored Contributor

That's tame compared to what is printed in the British tabloids but it's trash, anyone with half a brain knows that.  I'm pretty sure they don't read that garbage but some of it probably gets back to them.  I don't feeel sorry for them at all.  That's the price they pay for a life of great wealth and privilege that is based on some silly archaic system.  You don't see any of them abdicating so obviously, it doesn't bother them much at all.

Honored Contributor

Gossip magazines are a product, if you aren't interested in purchasing, that's fine.  One of my stores can't keep them in stock, that's how fast they sell, lol.

Valued Contributor

The Enquirer, The Globe I can't think of the other rags right by the check out counter. They have sold slander and gossip for decades. The bold print is supposed to get you to buy right on your way out of the store. 

The Enquirer has been sued many times, and they just come back with more slander against someone else. 

How many times have they "claimed" some very rich celeb and their spouse are fighting and getting a divorce? Or this person is cheating with that person. And then there are the dying person's final words. Those celebs should, and could, sue those rags into bankruptcy, and yet they don't, Why? 

It used to be said publicity, no matter how bad, is better than nothing. I don't know if that's true any more or not. But, they keep getting away with it, and people still pick up the one with the headline that grabs their attention. 

The royal family could go after them as well, but they must think it isn't worth their time. 

Some of that garbage they print has to hurt at times. Especially when they talk about a person who just passed away. 

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

Gossip magazines are a product, if you aren't interested in purchasing, that's fine.  One of my stores can't keep them in stock, that's how fast they sell, lol.

They sell out everywhere.  They really are just comic books for adults,  even those of us who say we never buy them, sometimes do.  Some people  just read them in the checkout line and then toss them them aside.   90% of it is trash and fiction and most people understand that.  It doesn't matter what the 10% think.